CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

gingerhendry

15th April 2009, 16:53
Can I have some help with these please??
92. The film was transparent - although there was one hitch in it. (4,6)
91. Irish prison officer is a twister (9)
81. This production is set for dispatch in the long run (3,9)
1 of 45  -   Report This Post

campanilla

15th April 2009, 16:57
Hi Gingerhendry,

81. Think of a long-running production, and something that can be "set".

91. A place in Ireland and another name for a prison officer.

92. A film where Alfred Hitchcock had a cameo role.
2 of 45  -   Report This Post

gingerhendry

15th April 2009, 17:03
Hi Campanilla, thanks for coming to my rescue yet again, this is my first Rainbow Quiz, and I find it extremely hard!
3 of 45  -   Report This Post

gingerhendry

15th April 2009, 17:08
Me again, I much prefer your clues to the Quiz Setters, got them now.
4 of 45  -   Report This Post

campanilla

15th April 2009, 17:09
No problem, it is very hard, and there are always a few clues that are worse than others, which is why most of us are stuck on the same ones, 19 and 94. If you think of it, if we're all stuck on the same ones, they must be really diabolical or we've talked ourselves into not bein able to do them. Roll on September when the next one comes out..
5 of 45  -   Report This Post

gingerhendry

15th April 2009, 17:43
Number 94. I have gone for SHOWERCAPS? what do you think. They seem to be referred to by Shakespeare quite a bit and Caps as opposite poles??
6 of 45  -   Report This Post

campanilla

16th April 2009, 12:09
Hi Ginger, sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday. I think showercaps is just as valid as any of the others we have come up with, I am just not convinced that any of them are right. Maybe it's just me. I have trouble with relating any of the answers up to date to the part of the clue with says, from two extremes. It could be that I'm trying to complicate things too much, but Rainbow always have complete logic in their answers as you will have seen from all the ones you have answered.
7 of 45  -   Report This Post

gingerhendry

16th April 2009, 13:45
Hi Campanilla, with regard to question 94, I took the cap part to relate to the polar caps two extremes, north and south. J.It will be interesting to see what the answer actually is!!
8 of 45  -   Report This Post

gingerhendry

16th April 2009, 14:08
Me again, I have been surfing around and Souwesters seems to be the favourite answer, 2 extremes, south and west - which are William Shakespeares initials.
9 of 45  -   Report This Post

campanilla

16th April 2009, 15:10
Hi Ginger,

As JimB, my main thinking man, appears to have given up the ghost on No. 94, I'll tell you what I think the answer is and why. At no time does the clue specifically mention hats, caps or the like, it only says headgear. And you know, God knows I've said it enough times, that I have a problem with "extremes" regarding south/west etc. Well, I think the answer is "sideboards". Items of headgear? One on each side of the face? There actually is a Shakespeare sideboard which was carved by a Victorian woodcarver called Gerrard Robinson who was famous in that era for carving sideboards etc. He carved the most famous sideboard in the world, the Chevy Chase sideboard among others. The Shakespeare sideboard has a carving of Willy at the top, you'll find it on Google if you look for it. There actually is a Shakespeare sideboard in the Shipley Art Museum, Gerrard Robinson was fropm Newcastle-on-Tyne. Anyway, that's my answer and now I'll get back to the dreaded No. 19.
10 of 45  -   Report This Post