CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jimc

11th April 2009, 10:50
Here's yet another idea for clue no. 94 - "Shakespearean items of headgear come from two extremes (10)" - although it's a bit dodgy as it makes use of a commercial brand/trading name.

EXTENSIONS

Relevance to clue ...

1. 'Shakespearean items' ... the Shakespeare Company (of the U.S.A.) make & sell radio antennae & masts ('extensions'?), including extensions to such for greater reception/transmission range.
2. 'headgear' = extensions are hair (or similar) woven into existing hair.
3. 'come from two extremes' ... wordplay-wise, 'ex' + 'tensions' could tenuously mean from two opposing positions ('extremes'?).
4.'extensions' = Rooms added to houses (or additions to the telephone system within a house).

Well, that's more straw clutched at!

Happy Easter, Everyone. Soon, anyway.
JimC
1 of 3  -   Report This Post

paulinep

11th April 2009, 11:37
Hello JimC

Wow! Love your suggestion of EXTENSIONS. You`ve certainly worked hard on it and really carried it to extremes! I doff my Juliet Cap(s)to you.

Always enjoy your welcome contributions to this interesting and friendly site. I stumbled across it a couple of months ago and now am in danger of becoming addicted.

Best wishes for a Happy Easter

PaulineP

2 of 3  -   Report This Post

jimc

11th April 2009, 12:37
quote "... and now am in danger of becoming addicted." Same here - of course I can give it up any time I want to!

Mercifully, I didn't spend too much time on this. The Shakespeare Company in question has an easy-to-find website (I didn't click on the 'Military' portal on their homepage though, in case the Intelligence Agencies noticed my interest). Apparently, the company was started by a William Shakespeare about 100 years ago and claims to be the biggest supplier of marine antennae in the world.

Oh wait - the doorbell just rang - hmmm, people dressed in uniforms there - will be right back ...
3 of 3  -   Report This Post