CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

29th March 2024, 16:01
The clues...
Requests for help should normally include the clue itself, the number of letters in the answer and details of any you already have. Any additional information or special instructions, common in Listener puzzles, should also be included.
Hints only, please, no answers.

The theme...

Help towards the theme may also be sought here. The 'help' should be just a nudge, a pointer in the right direction - something useful, and definitely not anything that would spoil the puzzle for other solvers. Any posts which, even inadvertently, reveal too much of the theme are likely to be removed.

The Listener is a unique puzzle and should be treated with respect.
1 of 68  -   Report This Post

dodgepot

29th March 2024, 18:35
Interesting puzzle, with some unorthodox clueing and an unambiguous ending. Cheers, Vainglorious
2 of 68  -   Report This Post

twelvetree

30th March 2024, 10:45
You and I have *very* different definitions of 'unambiguous', dodgepot! Grid filled, all the extra letters and it still feels like a 'guess what I'm thinking' ending to me.

Am I right in interpreting the instructions as applying to four rows and ten other cells, i.e. a pair of letters in each of five rows?
3 of 68  -   Report This Post

jordan

30th March 2024, 10:48
Yes, that is correct. As long as you have identified the work, it all falls quickly into place
4 of 68  -   Report This Post

dodgepot

30th March 2024, 11:58
What I meant by “unambiguous”, twelvetree, was that once you have the solution you know it’s correct. If you are in any doubt, as is almost always the case with the Listener, you are probably wrong.
5 of 68  -   Report This Post

twelvetree

30th March 2024, 12:02
Well there's the rub Jordan, I haven't. A single name and a two word phrase that isn't very searchable is not helping me. I assume neither sandy places nor rodents feature in it?
6 of 68  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

30th March 2024, 13:06
No sandy places or rodents.

If you have the extra letters, searching the last three words is enough to get the source, from which the instruction gives an unambiguous final grid.
7 of 68  -   Report This Post

0pt0

30th March 2024, 14:20
Another highly entertaining puzzle. I hope no-one says this was too easy for a Listener, as compiling a finished grid with so much thematic material in it is nothing short of brilliant.
8 of 68  -   Report This Post

twelvetree

30th March 2024, 16:09
Argh! The golden rule of Listeners - if you're stuck and the message makes no sense, check _everything_.

I had one letter wrong, the one from 25d (I had 'hardliner' = RAD, which I wasn't happy with). So I had a two word source and a surname for the author, hence the sand/rodents. What a difference a letter makes.

A sadder and a wiser man, he rose the morrow morn....
9 of 68  -   Report This Post

riversk

30th March 2024, 18:54
I agree that the endgame should be unambiguous. However, to confirm:

1. My letter pair adjustments were handled differently in one particular row than in the other four.
2. Pretty sure we submit a full grid, not just the affected parts. Visually, I think it might have been more attractive with the latter approach, but not a big deal.

Sound right? A lovely, challenging puzzle. Thanks.
10 of 68  -   Report This Post