CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

campanilla

11th April 2009, 00:28
Is anybody doing this quiz? It is actually very good, to do with "well-known novels - some old, some new". It can be downloaded from their website. On a serious note, could I just mention that the reason a lot of us download the quizzes instead of sending off for them with the pound entrance fee is because, living overseas, sending money is easy, sending stamped, addressed envelopes is impossible. A lot of us here do the quizzes and then send the money with the answers but there seems to be an awful lot of criticism about us downloading. But if the questionmasters don't mind and the charity gets its money sooner or later, I don't see what the problem is. Anyway, nuff sed. I have almost finished it, except for the following which I cannot think of at all.

34. TYNECASTLE TEAM 5,2,10
46. GARRETT OR PENTHOUSE 4,2,2,3
63. NAUGHTIES - FRENCH STYLE 3,8,11
89. CRADDOCK ASCENT 5,4
92. A BEACON IN BUCKS - ALMOST 7

Any hints?
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

big dave

11th April 2009, 01:24
Are you sure 46 is (4,2,2,3)?

It looks like Room at the Top (4,2,3,3)
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

big dave

11th April 2009, 01:25
89 - FANNY (Craddock) HILL !!
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

big dave

11th April 2009, 01:31
Hi Campanilla - I only just noticed it was you!

34 should be (3,5,2,10)

The Heart of Midlothian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Heart_of_Midlothian
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

paulinep

11th April 2009, 02:46
63 LES LIAISONS DANGEREUSES
By Pierre Choderlos de Laclos

92 IVANHOE
By Sir Walter Scott
(Almost Ivinghoe Beacon in Buckinghamshire)
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

campanilla

11th April 2009, 09:35
mornin' Campers! You've both been a great help. BigD, I could find Tynecastle Team, which I'd never heard of, and I'm assuming that your answer is right although it definitely says '5,2'10'. I thought that 46. was Room at the top, but again the numbers are 4,2,2,3. Also 'Garrett' is spelt with two t's which also threw me. I assume then they must be misprints. Fanny Hill I wouldn't have got I don't think. And Pauline, many thanks for Les Liaisons Dangereuses especially. The brain refused to see that it must have a foreign title as it is the only one that has. I sort of thought that it was Ivanhoe, but could I find a beacon in Buckinghamshire, could I hell!!!

Thanks again, and have a great weekend.
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

paulinep

11th April 2009, 10:41
Buenos dias Campanilla

Re Ivanhoe.
Not knowing my way around Buckinghamshire(for as a Lancashire lass ,albeit long past the lass stage, I don`t stray far from home!)I studied maps of the area for what seemed like ages and almost gave up before locating Ivinghoe Beacon in The Chilterns.
Actually it would have been easier,but not as much fun, to just search on Wikipedia!

Adios

PaulineP

7 of 8  -   Report This Post

big dave

11th April 2009, 11:42
Campanilla

It's difficult now to understand how anyone would have watched Fanny and Johnny Craddock's program about cooking and wine drinking, but they did. But at least they didn't find it necessary to swear all the time like some of today's uncouth egotists.

I did look on the Lions website and I think it worth an email to ask them if the ones we have queried are correct - I suspect they are not.
8 of 8  -   Report This Post