CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

flipper2law

19th October 2010, 11:08
Hi all,
For 43, and 20down, I know three French words for 'the' :- le la and les and I know 'mer' is French for sea.
But (another little big word) I cannot put them together to make a five letter answer to "worth putting that creature below the French sea.
I expect help during the week,though.
Ta.
1 of 42  -   Report This Post

big dave

19th October 2010, 11:12
Try MER IT
2 of 42  -   Report This Post

flipper2law

19th October 2010, 12:37
Ta,
Got it - for 'that' read 'it' - then the answer fits
3 of 42  -   Report This Post

dave

19th October 2010, 12:41
derogatory, that creature is an it
4 of 42  -   Report This Post

philip

19th October 2010, 14:49
Just finished. no real complaints about the clues this week. Perhaps the worst is 16a.
I am struggling to decide whether 18a is a good clue or not. Seems good when you get it.
I liked21a and 22a and 7a was just made for BEES. 3d was quite clever once I dismissed the football conotations.
All in all took just under an hour as I struggled a little with the bottom left hand corner, but that was me, not the compiler.
PHILIP
5 of 42  -   Report This Post

navigator

19th October 2010, 15:06
Just finished. If my answer to 17d is correct
the clue should have suggested something stronger.
6 of 42  -   Report This Post

navigator

19th October 2010, 15:12
Sorry .... the clue for 17d should have called for something LESS strong.
7 of 42  -   Report This Post

philip

19th October 2010, 15:49
Navigator
I used to like it in lager. Does that help? Certainly made the lager "less strong"
PHILIP
8 of 42  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

19th October 2010, 16:53
Good afternoon all,

Like Philip, I think that 3d is quite clever and I wonder if, for the benefit of the ladies, I ought to emphasise that the answer's nothing to do with football. I didn't like 23a however.

I have to confess that, while I have the correct answer for 5d, I don't understand the clue - or at least part of it. The second part of the answer should sound like 'shock' [or 'shuck'] so I fail to see what relevance the word 'covering' has. No doubt you'll be kind enough to explain, in due course, and I will exclaim, "Doh!"

Nimrod, if you're going out in the garden tomorrow, make sure you wrap up well because, whilst it's going to be sunny, it won't be very warm.

With best wishes to you all,

Caravaggio
9 of 42  -   Report This Post

torvic

19th October 2010, 17:40
Finished except for 23a. Can anyone give an alternative clue to help me? I think my brain is on a 'go slow' after I made it watch the last Horizon programme!
10 of 42  -   Report This Post