CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

3rd January 2024, 21:53
Someone recommended a show to me called "Inside No. 9", written by Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith, the guys responsible for The League of Gentleman and, while that was never really my thing, I thought I'd give this a try so watched an episode called The Riddle of the Sphinx .

IMDB summarised the plot as "A professor at the University of Cambridge attempts to teach a student how to solve a cryptic crossword" and rated it as the 3rd best episode which, given the show has run for 9 seasons, seems high praise indeed.

To say there's more too it would be a gross understatement.

Has anyone here seen it?
1 of 12  -   Report This Post

chrise

3rd January 2024, 22:06
I watched some of those programmes and really hated them (as I did The league of gentlemen), but I did watch the crossword one. It was nearly as bad. I think that the crossword was in fact written by an amateur compiler who has had a couple published in the Guardian, but I can't remember who.
2 of 12  -   Report This Post

jono

3rd January 2024, 22:54
Brendan, yes, “Sphinx” is Steve Pemberton, who has had two crosswords published in the Guardian. The first was timed to coincide precisely with the tv episode you are referring to.

If you look carefully at the credits of that show you will notice that the crossword advisor was Alan Connor… the current “Everyman” and the new Guardian crossword editor following the recent sad departure of Hugh.
3 of 12  -   Report This Post

norah (admin)

4th January 2024, 07:51
Brendan, I’ve add an @ in the heading to indicate that this is more of a chat thread than one seeking help on an actual crossword. I don’t want to build anyone’s hopes up that this is a crossword on the ancient Sphinxes😂
5 of 12  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

4th January 2024, 12:16
I also found this from 2017.
I did watch it !

https://www.crosswordsolver.org/forum/612779/inside-no-9-the-riddle-of-the-sphinx/
6 of 12  -   Report This Post

jono

4th January 2024, 12:28
I’m going to have to watch it now. Found it on iPlayer… Series 3 episode 3.
7 of 12  -   Report This Post

jono

4th January 2024, 12:31
…she’s called Nina! 😂
8 of 12  -   Report This Post

jono

4th January 2024, 13:14
Yikes 😳 I had seen it before but forgotten quite how dark it turns...
9 of 12  -   Report This Post

luko

5th January 2024, 01:00
I watched it ages ago, and enjoyed it very much. Many of these have wonderful twists and its well worth spending time on the series: although obviously the quality varies over so many episodes, there are enough great ones to justify a few below par
10 of 12  -   Report This Post