CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jono

17th December 2023, 08:14
Good fun I thought. A couple of clues may raise some discussion and to my mind one clue has a perfectly acceptable alternative answer, so requires crossers to confirm. But let’s see if anyone else notices it.
1 of 63  -   Report This Post

smot

17th December 2023, 08:29
Just the NW corner left now, so I need to put it down for a while and come back to it with fresh eyes.
I'm not sure I can see your alternative answer, Jono, unless it's in that NW corner!
2 of 63  -   Report This Post

jono

17th December 2023, 08:34
No it’s in the SE corner, Smot. However, you will need the NW corner to understand the parsing of another clue, something I don’t think I’ve seen Everyman do before.
3 of 63  -   Report This Post

phil10000

17th December 2023, 08:58
Most difficult Everyman ever, I reckon! Took me forever to get the NW corner and frankly amazed that I managed to stumble across some of the others (7D, 15A, 16A ... I could go on). I suspect the forum will be busy today!
LOI and COD 23A as it tested the lateral thinking muscle.
4 of 63  -   Report This Post

jono

17th December 2023, 09:07
23 also my last one to parse, Phil. It was what I was referring to when I said I don’t think Everyman has done something like that before.
5 of 63  -   Report This Post

justsolve

17th December 2023, 09:24
Very enjoyable Everyman I thought, I also too far too long to parse LOI 23a
Rhyming pair (of sorts) and initials clue spotted, 18d raised a chuckle when the penny dropped. Cannot spot the alternative answer alluded to by Jono though. Thanks Everyman.
6 of 63  -   Report This Post

chrise

17th December 2023, 09:38
23 my last too.
i have some quibbles. 1a doesn't quite work. pedantically, "feed" is wrong in 9a. 17a first part is very loose. i dislike solutions like 20a, where you neede crossers to decide on the second word; in this case the clue seems to suggest the other possibility.
i've never heard 8d said.
7 of 63  -   Report This Post

carmelista

17th December 2023, 09:43
Good morning, Jono Just started after a late breakfast. Almost my FOI was the clue in the SE in which an alternative possessive adjective is possible. I think I may have chosen incorrectly!
8 of 63  -   Report This Post

phil10000

17th December 2023, 09:58
Morning Jono. I vaguely remember this Everyman including a 23A-type clue near the start of his tenure. I think it was my COD then, too, mainly because of the PDM.
Interesting that Chris has never heard 8D said. I don't think I've ever heard 7D!
9 of 63  -   Report This Post

carmelista

17th December 2023, 11:55
Testing and enjoyably cryptic. 8d more often found on clothes retailers' websites. Parsing required more thought than usual. Thanks, Everyman.
10 of 63  -   Report This Post