CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

alan

17th October 2010, 08:32
22D One having to back someone successful,now dismissed (5)
I have O?N?R
It looks like OWNER (one having) but can anyone explain the rest of the clue?
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

sammy

17th October 2010, 10:06
Like you, I think the answer looks like OWNER.
I'm wondering if "someone successful" is WINNER and that it is somehow worked into the mix before taking away some letter or letters. But I can't figure it out.
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

cazzy

17th October 2010, 10:12
NOW dismissed could be OWN as for the rest of it I dont know.
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

crypto

17th October 2010, 10:16
I looked at this earlier and wondered about 'winner' myself but couldn't see it. Sammy's posting prompted me to look at it again and I wondered about the following explanation:

'to back' = o (i.e. the back of to) + winner = owinner. If you dismiss 'in' (= now) it leaves owner.

It's the last bit which might be tenuous - 'in' could be in the trendy sense i.e. currently or now popular.

Best I can come up with anyway.
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

sammy

17th October 2010, 10:35
That's probably it, Crypto. I didn't get the back of "to" = o and I was looking for an N to signify the "now dismissed" and that left me with an I to account for. You're right, though: something that is IN is sometimes said to be very NOW. So it could be that.
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

trevor

17th October 2010, 11:28
top marks Crypto - wanna hug?
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

chrisg

17th October 2010, 11:31
I was thinking along the lines of someone who is successful is Renown ..backing with (N)ow dismissed...but still not convinced !
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

crypto

17th October 2010, 14:52
Sorry Trevor - had to go out, so missed the hug!
8 of 8  -   Report This Post