CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rogissimo

11th November 2023, 01:01
Lovely work by Picaroon, requiring quite a bit of lateral thinking around the theme word. A satisfying, if quick (again) solve.
1 of 59  -   Report This Post

geeker

11th November 2023, 01:07
Yes, thanks to Picaroon. Another relatively gentle but enjoyable Prize.
Started slowly, FOI 18. Fortunately got a thematic with the second one in, which instantly yielded the theme. Then it went rather quickly.
LOI 16 due to correction of error, otherwise would have been 25 (which revealed the error).
COD 5; also liked 26, 24d, 7, 6, 15 and 4.
Was hoping for a pangram, which would have been somewhat appropriate, but no.
A few technical terms, but nothing that required external (Google) assistance.
2 of 59  -   Report This Post

brendan

11th November 2023, 01:20
A wonderful themed puzzle by the ever popular Picaroon.

I suppose the difficulty level depends on how quickly you spot the theme word, but there are plenty of easier clues in the downs to get you going.

I found the quickest way into the theme was via 12a.

If you do get stuck, there is at least one long anagram in both the acrosses and downs.

Jazz aficionados will appreciate one of the themed clues but, I'm sad to say, that I had to look him up on Google!

COD - As usual with Picaroon there are plenty of contenders, but I'm going to go with my LOI and pick 7d:-)

Thanks to Picaroon for a most enjoyable Prize puzzle.

Leave a comment letting us know how you got on.

Stay safe:-)
3 of 59  -   Report This Post

geeker

11th November 2023, 01:30
Brendan, being a jazz aficionado, the clue you referred to was my above-cited 2nd one in and gave away the theme. 🤣
4 of 59  -   Report This Post

brendan

11th November 2023, 01:38
As soon as I got it I knew you would appreciate it.

PS I'll go over to the Chess thread to get your thoughts on MC's "plough" opening in the blitz tournament.
5 of 59  -   Report This Post

trialnerra

11th November 2023, 05:43
Um, had to look up a few synonyms for "toothless" but got there in the end
6 of 59  -   Report This Post

jono

11th November 2023, 08:18
I’m sure I’ve seen that word for toothless recently. Also Poetaster in a Paul puzzle was a solution only a few days ago.
Got the jazz reference early on but sadly one of the other ‘experts’ I didn’t know.
This was good fun I thought.
7 of 59  -   Report This Post

chrise

11th November 2023, 08:23
Despite getting the theme from 12 and 22a, i didn't find this all that easy, with several in the top half hanging out. i did know 5 though, as it gives its name to an order of animals (though google seems to suggest that the name has changed).
8 of 59  -   Report This Post

jono

11th November 2023, 08:27
5 was an answer in the FT last week, I knew I’d seen it recently.
9 of 59  -   Report This Post

margana

11th November 2023, 09:03
Gentle for a Prize, I thought, but very satisfying. My way in was via 15.
10 of 59  -   Report This Post