CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

prospero

6th November 2023, 14:44
sorry - I meant the 3rd and 4th letter ...
11 of 65  -   Report This Post

ionexch

6th November 2023, 14:46
Prospero, I think "much seen" = popular = in
12 of 65  -   Report This Post

prospero

6th November 2023, 15:03
ah, thanks ionexch - bit of a stretch, though ...
13 of 65  -   Report This Post

sircrispin

6th November 2023, 16:19
Afternoon all

Slightly confused... If I follow the instructions I get a set of new, real words (one proper noun), which do not match with the letter counts in the submission form.

I'm assuming we are meant to enter the new words and that the letter counts were deliberately not changed as that would have been an additional clue? But not confident...
14 of 65  -   Report This Post

buzzybee

6th November 2023, 16:36
All done, and instruction followed OK, but I may be missing something. Are there several possibilities in one or two places?
15 of 65  -   Report This Post

prospero

6th November 2023, 16:47
sir c - I entered the full words in the form, then thought maybe one should have entered the reduced ones, so sent those from a separate email - belt and braces, as it were. On reflection what one might best do is enter the whole words with the deductions in brackets... buzzybee - I found ambiguity in 27 but it didn't give me the instruction - if you have the instruction I don't think there are alternatives.
16 of 65  -   Report This Post

sircrispin

6th November 2023, 16:53
Thanks Prospero - I'll do that
17 of 65  -   Report This Post

buzzybee

6th November 2023, 19:01
Thanks Prospero. I was making this too complex! I agree that there is no ambiguity in the instruction per se, but I then assumed one had to do something additional to complete the grid. Apparently not.
18 of 65  -   Report This Post

pendragon

6th November 2023, 19:37
I am genuinely thinking of giving up on this one. Two questions. Does the "nonsense and more nonsense ..." answer begin with a type of opera, and has anyone any hints for "Person getting chill ..."? Having written this, I am not sure I can fit the words in anyway (and I understand the instructions).
19 of 65  -   Report This Post

buzzybee

6th November 2023, 19:48
Pendragon
First query. Nope, no opera. Two words for nonsense including the usual for "old". The second: parses 3 + 3, def is last 3 words.
Further comments. As people have discovered, the solution to 12 is indeed a Maori word (as is the compiler's nom de plume), well loved by us Kiwis.
20 of 65  -   Report This Post