CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rogissimo

4th November 2023, 02:23
A Picaroon Prize always fills me with a mixture of fear and joyous anticipation. This one lived up to expectations and challenged and entertained in equal measure. Impossible/invidious to plump 😉for a COD.
1 of 36  -   Report This Post

geeker

4th November 2023, 02:33
Thanks to Picaroon, good Prize. He's doing double duty tonight, also in the FT as Buccaneer. These after Thursday's Indy as Rodriguez.

I thought it was a bit easier than usual, except for 6 and 9. Had to google to get 6 (I once knew it well, but had forgotten), and then 9 (LOI and quite tricky) fell into place. FOI was 10. Perhaps more "low-hanging fruit" than typical for Picaroon, but the less challenging entries were elegantly clued.

COD definitely 18, but I ranked 7 other clues as excellent, which indicates an enjoyable puzzle.

2 of 36  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

4th November 2023, 02:40
A run-off between 18 and the thematically linked (not that there’s a theme - or is there?) 20 for me, geeker.
3 of 36  -   Report This Post

chrise

4th November 2023, 08:51
this went more easily than it looked like at first sight, though i'm not sure if i have 9a right - i can't account for the 2nd and 3rd letters (though the 3rd is confirmed).
favourite 23.
4 of 36  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

4th November 2023, 09:16
Hi Chris
9a def. is "inspired"
article 2 letters around that awful 4 -letter word for how the Guardian is perceived ?.
5 of 36  -   Report This Post

havermonkey

4th November 2023, 09:23
This must be easier than usual as I've sailed through it, just stuck on 6d/9a. I have that parsing for 9 but just can't see it! Might have to put it aside for a bit. Enjoyed not having it feel like a real slog for a change, lots of clues that made me smile. Mind you, not sure what to do with my tea breaks for the rest of the weekend.
6 of 36  -   Report This Post

chrise

4th November 2023, 09:25
thanks jazzy. i did have it wrong.
7 of 36  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

4th November 2023, 09:27
6d is a sweet (word for a kitty with last letter moved up one
8 of 36  -   Report This Post

havermonkey

4th November 2023, 09:27
Ahhhh.... partner got the Guardian reference at first time of asking!
9 of 36  -   Report This Post

havermonkey

4th November 2023, 09:28
Thanks Jazzgirl, 6d answer was obvious now but couldn't see the parsing. All done :-)
10 of 36  -   Report This Post