CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jono

27th October 2023, 18:19
Weekend Peer Review 208

Welcome to our weekend competition to compose a cryptic clue to be judged by your fellow contestants. You may enter as many clues as you like, and everyone is welcome, particularly new entrants. Feel free to explain your clue if you think it will help, or to ask another entrant to parse their clue. However, please don't comment on the clues before voting closes.

Clues should be posted before noon (UK time) on Sunday the 29th of October, when voting opens. Voting closes at 6pm the same day. **Note: clocks go back in the UK on Saturday night**

This weekend’s challenge is:

MACBETH (7)

Have fun and good luck!

Weekend rules: Each entrant has six votes to allocate across any of one to six clues (no fractional votes allowed). For example, the allocation might be 3/2/1 for the top 3 clues, and many other allocations are possible. In the event of a tie, the number of first place votes will be taken into consideration (if those are equal, 2nd place votes, etc.).

Future setters should note that a complete list of words used previously in Clueless, Peer Review and Weekend Peer Review is available here https://tinyurl.com/4dzss5np
1 of 54  -   Report This Post

jono

27th October 2023, 18:20
Don’t forget the bonus challenge…

What comes fourth in the sequence?

So far we have…

DREAMY -> MACBETH -> ? -> ?
2 of 54  -   Report This Post

chrise

27th October 2023, 18:28
Could Hamish be Chatto's son? (7)

Beth Chatto, gardener
3 of 54  -   Report This Post

chrise

27th October 2023, 18:30
Oh, and Hamish Macbeth, of course (as portrayed by Robert Carlyle)
4 of 54  -   Report This Post

buddy

27th October 2023, 18:54
The Scottish play, and beat, team with British champion (7)

TEAM B CH*

ref. the superstition that it's bad luck to say the play's name, so it's referred to as the Scottish play.
5 of 54  -   Report This Post

darla

27th October 2023, 19:07
Scottish play disastrous match with English second string (7)

Wouldn't you know it, I was working on the same idea. If it's too close to yours, buddy, I will withdraw it, but I at least wanted it to be seen.
6 of 54  -   Report This Post

tyke51

27th October 2023, 19:11
Weird sisters in Old Bill tragedy (7)
7 of 54  -   Report This Post

buddy

27th October 2023, 19:11
Let the voters decide, I sez.
8 of 54  -   Report This Post

darla

27th October 2023, 19:16
Thanks, buddy. You're very kind.
9 of 54  -   Report This Post

chrise

27th October 2023, 19:18
Further to mine @3, "mac" is scots for "son of".
10 of 54  -   Report This Post