CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

drxx

21st October 2023, 12:19
I think I get the connection between the gimmick and the theme, but I could be overreading it... on a couple of levels.
Found the clues challenging (but in a good way) and the endgame quick.
1 of 18  -   Report This Post

h1982

22nd October 2023, 08:51
Cold solved a few but no idea how to decide which answer goes in which half. And no idea how to start gridding with any certainty. Is there a tactic Drxx or do I just go ahead and start guess-plotting some of the down answers and hope things become clear…?
2 of 18  -   Report This Post

jogamel

22nd October 2023, 09:47
I haven’t completed this yet, but a wild stab led me to insert the answer to first half of across clue 1 and has enabled the left side to more or less fill itself! So have a go H1982. It was because I could see a shorter word…..But Drxx is your man. I’m such a novice really.
3 of 18  -   Report This Post

drxx

22nd October 2023, 10:01
Yes, pretty much trial and error for me too - and a lucky first guess (also with a shortened word in mind).
There are some intriguing alternatives for both longer and shorter entries and I had three corrections to make before the two strands of letters made complete sense.
4 of 18  -   Report This Post

granama1

22nd October 2023, 12:14
Having got started with 1a on the left, things fell into place and the first three or four removed letters leads pretty smartly to knowing what the added letters are I thought.

However, I can't satisfactorily parse either part of 20d. (It wouldn't be normal if ever finish a crossword without at least 1 ? 😄
5 of 18  -   Report This Post

drxx

22nd October 2023, 12:28
I struggled with the 2nd part of 20d, granama1, the best I can do is -

A homophone of 'base', with the first letter [the 'upper crust'?] leaving to give a cruder slang term for '(the) behind'.
Pretty sure the first part is a synonym for '(secret) agents' - but only the insides/'stuffing'.
6 of 18  -   Report This Post

drxx

22nd October 2023, 12:33
Your tip regarding what the letters spell out is helpful - I realised I could have saved myself some time if I hadn't left it until I'd completed the grid before working it out.
7 of 18  -   Report This Post

gitto

22nd October 2023, 12:55
The upper NE corner proved to be my LHS 21a (before mutilation) for a very long time, but all is now complete. Back to grid staring at the listener, if I can be bothered.
8 of 18  -   Report This Post

gitto

22nd October 2023, 13:05
drxx, wrt the second part of 20d, if "caught" was "heard" in the clue, if confirms your parsing of the answer.
9 of 18  -   Report This Post

drxx

22nd October 2023, 13:12
Yes, I'm OK with 'caught', gitto - it's 'upper crust' for the first letter that I find a bit of a stretch (but I'm warming to it}.
10 of 18  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » IQ 1826