CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

joe

14th October 2010, 17:44
Anyone got this puzzle? It's my first attempt and my grid is almost complete, but I can't see the conundrum.In each clue there is a superfluous letter
12a Arab covering "Carmen" live at centre (3) I have Y?A (could be "B" in middle?)
21a Load a conveyance for Walter (4) RA?T
39d Help is a feature of Cambridge (5) B?CKS
2d A feature of coast overlooking such as Jersey?You can count on us!(5) A?A?I could be abaci but I don't see the wordplay?
Grateful for any help.
1 of 13  -   Report This Post

emf

14th October 2010, 17:55
21a Raft?
2 of 13  -   Report This Post

problem chimp

14th October 2010, 18:03
The Backs is a feature of Cambridge

Back - help

superfluous S
3 of 13  -   Report This Post

jimc

14th October 2010, 18:05
Hi.

Am I understanding correctly that there is an extra letter in the answer to each clue (ie an extra letter that isn't indicated by the clue)?

If so, maybe 2d is ...
'ab' = 'abdominal muscle' (a feature?) + 'a' = superfluous letter + 'ci' = 'Channel Islands'.
4 of 13  -   Report This Post

problem chimp

14th October 2010, 18:07
a bac is a ferryboat

superfluous i

5 of 13  -   Report This Post

problem chimp

14th October 2010, 18:09
Umm... I was reading it that there's an extra letter in the ANSWER
6 of 13  -   Report This Post

jimc

14th October 2010, 18:34
Hi again.

12a might be aba which is a loose sleeveless outer garment worn as traditional dress by men in the Middle East (ie 'Arab covering'). Not clear of the wordplay or superfluous letter though - and it would mean that your 'Y' wouldn't fit.

JimC
7 of 13  -   Report This Post

jimc

14th October 2010, 18:39
Oh!

re: 12d being aba .. 'the AA' are "Carmen". Still not clear on the superfluous letter though as both 'AA' and 'B' seem to be indicated by the clue.

JimC
8 of 13  -   Report This Post

joe

14th October 2010, 22:40
Thanks for all help so far :
This is an example of how the "extra letter "works
Clue: Conflicts with muscles covering great distances(7). The answer entered in the gridis parsecs - made up of pecs(muscles) covering (W)ars (conflicts) W being the superfluous letter.
12a is entered in the grid as ABE (arab garment) wordplay being AA (carmen) round be(live).
{The Y was from pyjama which can be spelt pAjama}, so thanks for all the help with that one!
9 of 13  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

14th October 2010, 23:42
2d - answer for the grid is abaci - wordplay is a baY (feature of coast) + ci (channel isle). Y is the superfluous letter.
10 of 13  -   Report This Post