CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

13th October 2023, 15:28
The clues...
Requests for help should normally include the clue itself, the number of letters in the answer, and details of any you already have. Listener puzzles often have special instructions or additional information, so those should be included too.
Hints only, please, no answers.

The theme...
Help with the theme may also be sought here. The 'help' should be a nudge, a pointer in the right direction - not anything that would spoil the puzzle for others. Any queries or replies that, even inadvertently, reveal too much of the theme are likely to be removed.

The Listener is a unique puzzle and should be treated with respect.
1 of 57  -   Report This Post

throck

13th October 2023, 17:36
I thought this was straightforward until I could only find 47 cells to highlight.
2 of 57  -   Report This Post

bobbycollins

13th October 2023, 18:05
The fact that I have just spent a pleasant afternoon with the same setters "Footsteps" in the EV will certainly help with this one. Just hope that I don't find it as straightforward as Throck!
3 of 57  -   Report This Post

cockie

13th October 2023, 18:35
Throck - I could only get to 45, then I twigged that more than one of each entity was involved. Beware the rising red herring though.
4 of 57  -   Report This Post

throck

13th October 2023, 18:40
Oh, I see. I think it would have been more fair to highlight four tangentially related characters for 51 cells. Any prizes for finding any more?
5 of 57  -   Report This Post

throck

13th October 2023, 18:47
I think I've answered my own question: most of 3 down if you include video game characters.
6 of 57  -   Report This Post

drxx

13th October 2023, 19:06
Nice clues and a light touch thematically,I enjoyed it (and I didn't look beyond the obvious for the highlighting).
7 of 57  -   Report This Post

simond9x

13th October 2023, 23:20
Pretty much all done. I've highlighted more than 48 cells (I'm up to 53) so will have to wind that back a bit. A couple of parsing queries to resolve but the big problem is 18a. It's the only one that I haven't solved. I have all the crossers which I'm convinced are correct. I know the extra/misprint letter (I won't say which) but neither Chambers nor other dictionaries seem to offer a word that fits. I'm totally bemused. Any vague hint would be appreciated.
8 of 57  -   Report This Post

dodgepot

13th October 2023, 23:27
Your antepenultimate letter in 18a is probably wrong. I suggest you look again, as the correct answer is in Chambers
9 of 57  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

14th October 2023, 07:31
Cockie - I think your rising red herring is in fact the correct answer; the preamble requires the highlighting of three *characters* (i.e. named things or people), not just thematic synonyms.

Re: 18A - the answer is definitely unambiguous, as well as being a ridiculously specific term. The parsing is straightforward (3-5 split).
10 of 57  -   Report This Post