CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

fitzrover

8th October 2023, 09:34
This was a bit of a curate's egg. There were lots of fairly straightforward anagrams; 3 seems unnecessarily laboured and 26 must have escaped from the quick crossword. On the other hand, I found the SW corner really tough with some great clues.

How do you tell if 19 has an O or an E?

FOI 3, LOI 17, COD 17
1 of 33  -   Report This Post

jono

8th October 2023, 09:50
Hi Fitzrover,
Take your point re 14, though I think the O option fits a little better with the second definition.

Everyman seems to have a penchant for Pavlova, he clued the same word similarly last year.
2 of 33  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

8th October 2023, 09:51
I found this to be more of a quick, rather than cryptic.
I put O but it could easily be E.
More than one primary and lots of anagrams.
Two rhyming pairs
3 of 33  -   Report This Post

justsolve

8th October 2023, 10:06
Jazzgirl I also put O, in fact E never occurred to me until you pointed it out, but you make a valid point!

I don't usually complain about clues being to easy but some of the four-letter solutions were write-ins and hardly cryptic.

COD 13d which combined a smooth surface, clever wordplay and a word that I like to use, myself being of a certain age!

Was I the only one that needed a PDM to see the definition in 5d? I think I would have struggled without all the crossers.

All in all quite fun, it's a while since we have seen a spoonerism, I know this will please some but I rather miss them.
4 of 33  -   Report This Post

jono

8th October 2023, 10:07
The app is giving me a green tick for O and nothing for E. It’s a shame to have ambiguity though.

Good spot on the two pairs, Jazz, I saw the ones in the middle and somehow ignored the two on the outside!

Azed has a fairly friendly 12x12 grid today if anyone fancies a different challenge…
5 of 33  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

8th October 2023, 10:11
I forgot to mention my COD which is 11d :)
6 of 33  -   Report This Post

jono

8th October 2023, 10:24
One other (perhaps pedantic) cavil is that in 12a “ill” is not part of the “fermentation process”, it’s simply a lift from clue to solution.
7 of 33  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

8th October 2023, 10:31
Jono
I had "rum rather ill" anagrammed
8 of 33  -   Report This Post

jono

8th October 2023, 10:40
Jazz, yes, that’s how the clue is written, but a more precise clue might have been “rum rather” anagrammed around “ill”…
9 of 33  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

8th October 2023, 10:46
Ok Jono. I understand your pedantry :)

Can you tell me which app you have where answers can be "ticked" and does it cover the Genius ?
10 of 33  -   Report This Post