CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

bassett

1st October 2023, 22:09
23d As Tory party at prayer, supposedly, after immoral act (5). The answer looks like Since, but I can't parse it fully?
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

brendan

1st October 2023, 22:11
Hi Bassett,

It used to be said the the Church of England (CE) was the Tory party at prayer so SIN CE - As
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

chrise

1st October 2023, 22:12
SIN is the immoral act, CE is the Tory party at ptayer.Church of England). Not sure I can see a definition, though.
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

malone

1st October 2023, 22:16
As, since? (Poor English but common now!)
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

malone

1st October 2023, 22:17
Sorry, I've just noticed that's what Brendan had at the end of his post - but I did get to mention a minor pedantic quibble.
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

bassett

1st October 2023, 22:18
Thanks Brendan and chrise. I could see Sin but didn't know that it used to be said that the Church of England was the Tory party at prayer.
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

brendan

1st October 2023, 22:19
No problem Malone, I didn't help myself by putting a minus sign instead of an =

I think it's okay.... "I'll pick up the dinner as/since I'll be passing there anyway"
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

malone

1st October 2023, 22:27
Thanks, Brendan. The old rule that I was taught was that Since equates only with time (since I went to Turkey, I have been unwell). I am reasonably sanguine about the more relaxed usage now!
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

brendan

1st October 2023, 22:29
Malone, I was just about to write "... but I get your point" when your reply suddenly appeared:-)
9 of 9  -   Report This Post