CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

besom

4th September 2023, 22:31
Hello,

You helped me and my aunt with Wee Stinker

As above, you helped me when I was caring for my aunt and she kept up with the wee stinker until it moved from Monday, and worse than that, it was no longer wee anymore! It felt like a sign. Sadly she passed aged 100 1/2. We have LOADS of wee stinker tee shirts thanks to her!

As I have been unwrapping family china, every now and then I find one of the cryptic crosswords we enjoyed... for me especially MCC and MYOPS and there was another compiler that could be challenging whose pseudonym I forget right now.

Could anyone tell me how I could subscribe to these? I have found Herald puzzles which is fantastic, but not the same as the back page cryptic that my aunt and I did together (and only when she needed my help!)

Thank you to anyone who replies with any solution.

Warmest regards, Louise
1 of 5  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

5th September 2023, 07:58
Hello Louise
My condolences on the passing of your Aunt. What a grand age and well done to her for winning all thise T shirts.

I found this link which I hope will be of some help.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/circulation/#:~:text=To%20subscribe%20now%20and%20save,Friday%209.00am%20–%205.00pm.&text=The%20Herald%20and%20Herald%20on%20Sunday%20are%20available%20as%20voucher,available%20to%20suit%20all%20needs.

Kind regards

JG
2 of 5  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

5th September 2023, 08:01
I am not sure whether I have read your query correctly ?
3 of 5  -   Report This Post

external

5th September 2023, 08:40
Hi Louise

Unfortunately, the Herald doesn't have daily compilers any longer. The newspaper just uses generic puzzles from a media company. It wouldn't be worth getting a subscription for such general puzzles, when you could just buy a crossword book. I used to compile as Boz on Tuesdays, but the only other compiler pseudonym I can remember was Qix on Mondays.

They still run bespoke giant General Knowledge puzzles every Sunday and The Clootie is also a bespoke monthly 25x25 cryptic running every first Monday of the month.

Sorry for your loss.
4 of 5  -   Report This Post

besom

16th October 2023, 22:48
I am so embarrassed not to have replied sooner to thank you for your kind replies. Life sometimes grabs you and everything else goes out the window.
Thank you to Jazzgirl for your help.
Thank you particularly to BOZ (yes I remember you well as my aunt sometimes liked you re your clues, and sometimes not at all! We always enjoyed your challenges.) Your explanation explains why the Herald crosswords I found online were so banal. Nothing like the posers put by the different compilers. I for one will miss you. Computer driven puzzles have no nuance. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR REPLYING, Louise xxx
5 of 5  -   Report This Post