CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

campanilla

9th April 2009, 11:38
JimC, will you please put your huge, presidential brain to work on "Shakespearean items of headgear come from two extremes" as I appear to have completely lost the plot with this one and nothing fits.....
1 of 18  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

9th April 2009, 11:50
In case anybody's wondering it's clue 94 and it's 10 letters.
2 of 18  -   Report This Post

campanilla

9th April 2009, 11:54
Aha! So I'm not the only one who hasn't got it - that makes me feel better!
3 of 18  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

9th April 2009, 12:37
There was some discussion about this one a couple of pages back. The consensus of opinion was that it should be (6,4) rather than (10). Think of Montagues and a shortened version of their opponents, which is a form of headgear.
4 of 18  -   Report This Post

jimc

9th April 2009, 14:30
Campanilla.

I'm sorry to disappoint you but my brain is just average and certainly non-presidential. I think, maybe, you are confusing me with another JimC a peanut farmer in Georgia, USA?

As for the puzzle clue - I'm sorry but I can't improve on what's in a thread started by Lizzie a couple of pages back and answered by PaulineP, now cited by John OA.

All the best.
JimC
5 of 18  -   Report This Post

campanilla

9th April 2009, 14:44
Well, I certainly wasn't confusing you with Mr.B, the other last presidential brain!! Thanks anyway, I had seen it. It's just that I have a lot of trouble with that answer for two reasons. I don't remember Rainbow ever making a mistake in the clues (I may be wrong so don't quote me) and I cannot relate the answer to anything in a house no matter where I look, and believe me I have looked.
6 of 18  -   Report This Post

jimc

9th April 2009, 14:54
The given answer (JULIET CAPS) may be the correct and I am sorry but I've nothing better to offer.

But ... apart from the other reasons given against it (10 letters etc.) the clue asks for 'two extremes', yet Juliet was a Capulet in the Shakespearen play (i.e. not a Montague) and so the answer of JULIET CAPS doesn't really incorporate two extremes.

Pedantically yours....
JimC
7 of 18  -   Report This Post

campanilla

9th April 2009, 15:09
That was one of my reasons, the other being just what would you be doing with a juliet cap in a house? Do you sit on it, clean your teeth with it, kep things in it???? I know that some of their quizzes are very, very cryptic but there is always logic to the answer, here there isn't any that I can see.
8 of 18  -   Report This Post

jimb

9th April 2009, 16:56
A juliet cap is "a small ornamental cap of lace or net, typically worn by brides." Surely, every household must have at least one??

9 of 18  -   Report This Post

campanilla

9th April 2009, 18:00
Well now, as mine doesn't that surely must leave yours???? You haven't........!! You wouldn't........!!! I can almost picture it now....
10 of 18  -   Report This Post