CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

druh6sm

16th August 2023, 08:32
Far too difficult for me.

I have managed 19d with multiple checks.

I have ZERO idea what anything else is.

Has anyone else attempted it?
1 of 4  -   Report This Post

simond9x

16th August 2023, 08:49
Hi druh6sm,

I know, from your postings elsewhere, that you're relatively new to cryptics so don't be downhearted by today's. Vlad's are at the more difficult end of the Guardian's crosswords. Instead, have a wander over to 225 where the solutions are explained in detail.

https://www.fifteensquared.net/2023/08/16/guardian-29150-vlad/
2 of 4  -   Report This Post

jono

16th August 2023, 08:57
I found this very tricky in places. If you’re looking for a way in, 4d is fairly straightforward wordplay, and 11d is an anagram.
3 of 4  -   Report This Post

geeker

16th August 2023, 18:02
Agreed with simond9x, Vlad is extremely challenging. He and the dreaded Enigmatist are significantly more difficult than other Guardian setters.

Among free daily online cryptics, I think the FT runs somewhat easier than the Guardian, and is also blogged on 225. Picaroon, for instance, is the slightly gentler Buccaneer on the FT. On Vlad/Enigmatist/... days you might opt for FT instead.

The Indy has free puzzles with a very diverse lineup of setters, but is often quite difficult. They are covered on 225. For instance, I really enjoy Serpent at the Indy because of his frequent Ninas, but he's on the challenging side. Could be fun to read 225 coverage of his puzzles, though.
4 of 4  -   Report This Post