CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jack aubrey

13th August 2023, 13:25
A quick recommendation for Jaques’ “Pie Crust”. Some very elegant cluing and the PDM is sure to bring a smile.
1 of 15  -   Report This Post

drxx

13th August 2023, 13:30
Yes it did - a huge one (and the first for about a fortnight).
2 of 15  -   Report This Post

cockie

13th August 2023, 13:50
Yes. Wordplay for 5D still eludes me though.
3 of 15  -   Report This Post

drxx

13th August 2023, 14:06
Double def for 5d I think (almost triple def?).
4 of 15  -   Report This Post

swannie

13th August 2023, 14:31
Hello. I'm new to this lark - a good friend introduced me to these barred puzzles a few weeks ago and told me about this chat room. I hope I don't say or do the wrong thing.

Today's Enigmatic variations is the second one I've attempted, and I'm quite pleased that I've got as far as i have "all by myself". I have solved almost all the clues - two left - and have found seven of the beautiful trick ones. But I can't find the eighth for the life of me, even though I know what the clue will lead me to. Is it allowed to seek hints? If not, sorry!
5 of 15  -   Report This Post

drxx

13th August 2023, 14:43
That's really what the threads are for, swannie - go ahead (hope you find the missing one).
6 of 15  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

13th August 2023, 16:14
Hi Swannie. It’s an obscure one, to me at least. Try one from row 9 and 2008 in Google with a generic thematic word.
7 of 15  -   Report This Post

swannie

13th August 2023, 17:38
Thanks jack aubrey - it was a new one on me. All done now. Was this puzzle average, harder, or easier than the usual? I finished yesterday's listener - I was too put off by the one the week before and reading the messages on this site I can't have been the only one. Still only a beginner!
8 of 15  -   Report This Post

drxx

13th August 2023, 18:11
I'd say the clues are slightly harder than usual, swannie - especially the thematic ones - but as the setter has been so generous with the theme and the layout, we can hardly complain. Lots of variety in the clues too, I think.
Because this puzzle is solved in true crossword fashion (getting help from crossing letters along the way) the clues can stand being tougher. When a lot of cold-solving is needed the clues tend to be on the easy side (I think).
I share your reservations about the Listener before last, and I think you were wise to leave it alone.
9 of 15  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

13th August 2023, 18:51
A lovely puzzle from Jaques which left a big smile on my face from the PDM as well.
10 of 15  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1603