CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

13th August 2023, 00:34
Thanks to Everyman for an entertaining puzzle.

As is usual, there are plenty of anagrams to allow solvers to get a decent foothold and then build on from there utilising the crossing letters.

23a - I had to confirm in Chambers thesaurus that the answer is indeed a "calling" - which it is:-)

1a - I had to double-check that the answer could mean "withdraw" but this time I remembered coming across it before so I was pretty sure.

21d - Don't really understand how the "ocean capsized" gives a 5 letter word rather than a 4?

COD - A clear winner with 14a which has such a lovely surface reading.

Let us know how you got on in the comments.

Stay safe:-)
1 of 42  -   Report This Post

geeker

13th August 2023, 00:53
My COD is 9 because the wording (hot head) is funny.

1a was actually my FOI. 15 was LOI - had to get the final word from crossers because my knowledge of disco tunes is lacking. :-)

Thanks to Everyman, but the puzzles are becoming just about as difficult as the Prizes?! Didn't see any rhyming pairs, but the 2 long down solutions are paired in a sense.

Inclined to agree on 25, but perhaps "in ocean" could imply a possessive?
2 of 42  -   Report This Post

edc

13th August 2023, 06:11
Easiest for a while. A genuine 15 minuter. 21d … put your answer backwards to get a synonym for ocean. Used in singular and plural forms.
3 of 42  -   Report This Post

yevrah

13th August 2023, 07:22
Good day all. Enjoyed this week's. Thanks Everyman. Had to return to many as a few first efforts were not quite right until I got more crossers. Sorry to say I hated the primarily, really awful. 16a made me smile and reminded me of a NTNON sketch.

But my COD has to be the disco classic 15d because a best mate at school always felt Donna was singing a lament to the (now old) Coventry City ground.
4 of 42  -   Report This Post

phil10000

13th August 2023, 07:50
Oddly, I had different reactions to two of the clues highlighted in the first few posts this week.
My first thought on seeing 14A was that Everyman used a very similar clue for the same answer a couple of weeks ago. Maybe I've got that wrong?
And I felt 6D was amazing! Not a particularly beautiful surface or anything -- just that Everyman has that knowledge in his locker and found a way to use it! (I'd never heard of Lettish till this morning.)
LOI and COD 16A (which stumped me for ages till I read the clue properly and realised the answer is two words, not one!)
5 of 42  -   Report This Post

yevrah

13th August 2023, 07:53
Phil10k. I take back (partially, just don't like primarilies) 6d after following your comment and checking the meaning of the first word. Clever.
6 of 42  -   Report This Post

davel

13th August 2023, 07:58
A tale of two sides for me: LHS went in easily, RHS took a bit longer. Liked 4a, 16, 6 (always good to learn something new), but my COD is 15 cos it really is a classic track.
Thanks to Everyman.
7 of 42  -   Report This Post

jono

13th August 2023, 08:04
14a was an answer last week! There’s also this clue from Everyman 3,889 which is near identical…

Greek character (averse to wine) (7)

Agree with Geeker regarding the intended pairing in the long clues. Everyman has used these sort of antonym/opposite pairings before, e.g. short and sweet, good and bad, country and western, etc.
8 of 42  -   Report This Post

jono

13th August 2023, 08:07
*apologies re 14a it was the week before last
9 of 42  -   Report This Post

phil10000

13th August 2023, 08:21
Jono - how on earth did you find that 3889 clue so fast!? Astounding.
Also a little disconcerting that I thought I'd seen it a couple of weeks ago and it was actually two years ago. Time flies ...
10 of 42  -   Report This Post