CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

7th August 2023, 09:04
All clues are normal. Within each row or column, any occurrences of a certain letter in clued answers must be removed before entry into
the grid.

35d - Investigator overseeing broadcast wake is dozing (6) ?O?S?S

I just can't see this and have reached the going around in circles stage!
1 of 24  -   Report This Post

jogamel

7th August 2023, 09:28
Morning Brendan. I worked this out by using the letter removed already from 9d and a word that sounds like (broadcast) to wake someone up.
2 of 24  -   Report This Post

brendan

7th August 2023, 09:38
Brilliant, many thanks Jogamel:-)
3 of 24  -   Report This Post

dodgepot

7th August 2023, 15:57
I’m struggling to see 24a.
“Concerning friends return as time advances, mixture of hoppers and grunters (5)”
Removed letter/s is E, and I have *TAMR. I can only get STEAMER, which is re + mates reversed with the t advanced. But the definition eludes me. Hoppers and grunters and both types of trout fly, so STREAMER was possible, but there’s no space for the first R. The only other possibility might be METAMER/E, but I can’t get that to work either. Any ideas?
4 of 24  -   Report This Post

buddy

7th August 2023, 16:02
Chambers gives steamer as "Stewed kangaroo flavoured with pork". Yum!
5 of 24  -   Report This Post

dodgepot

7th August 2023, 16:07
Gosh, I saw that but didn’t make the connection. Fell headlong into the fly fishing elephant trap. Brilliant, buddy, many thanks!
6 of 24  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

7th August 2023, 17:47
Thematic puzzles often lead me to learn about something new. This one certainly did. And - oddly enough - Googling to link the message to the location produced a short film of the place inhabited by young ladies who had unaccountably neglected to don their outer wear.
7 of 24  -   Report This Post

biggus56

7th August 2023, 19:31
I've finished at last. I too found the distinctive phrase unhelpful, and wasted a lot of time searching for the architect of the buildings, rather than of the gardens. Hey ho!
8 of 24  -   Report This Post

brendan

8th August 2023, 01:55
Can I just check that the 5 letter word written underneath is a synonym of "to step, walk or trample" begging T and ending D, only I can't find it written anywhere on sites about the place and also surprised that it is singular rather than plural - or have I got it wrong?
9 of 24  -   Report This Post

brendan

8th August 2023, 01:56
... 'beginning' T and ending D.
10 of 24  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » IQ 1815