CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jogamel

29th July 2023, 16:40
There may be two redundant letters or a misprint in the definition. Help please. 31a: Mulls over bits of timber frames (8) I have ??R????S
1 of 39  -   Report This Post

cranberryboat

29th July 2023, 16:48
hi Jogamel ; misprint in definition (which is a slang term for the solution): an abbreviated "over" inside a word for "bits of timber". I enjoyed this puzzle but it really gave Chambers a good workout - most of the difficulty came from teasing out obscure definitions rather than particularly tricky wordplay - this clue being an example! All came together slowly but surely to reveal a nicely-worked (and for me, nho) theme.
2 of 39  -   Report This Post

jogamel

29th July 2023, 18:09
Thanks cranberryboat. I still can’t see it. I think I’ll have to put this away for now at least.
3 of 39  -   Report This Post

drxx

29th July 2023, 18:46
There are lots of obscure defs in this puzzle - even correcting the misprint is unlikely to help ('steal' is a more helpful synonym).
4 of 39  -   Report This Post

drxx

29th July 2023, 18:47
But a good puzzle (I think). I really enjoyed it.
5 of 39  -   Report This Post

brendan

29th July 2023, 19:24
for instructions see @1

4 - Dancer sent up by Jack Black cut by society (8)

If I've parsed this correctly then the first 2 letters of the "dancer" are either a reversal/"up" of "sent" or "sent up" in the correct order but neither seems to give those letters?
6 of 39  -   Report This Post

jogamel

29th July 2023, 19:26
Well, they say you learn something new every day. I did not know that meaning of that definition. Thanks drxx.
7 of 39  -   Report This Post

drxx

29th July 2023, 19:29
'by' = 'in', brendan (reversed, as you say) and 'black' is 4 letters (around 's') - that just leaves...
8 of 39  -   Report This Post

brendan

29th July 2023, 19:34
OMG I am such a moron! I got it fixed in my head that "by" was just saying where the "sent" went not that the first 2 letters were "by"! 🤬

Thanks as ever Drxx:-)
9 of 39  -   Report This Post

drxx

29th July 2023, 19:43
Being 'sent' the wrong way is my abiding memory of this puzzle, brendan (it makes morons of us all}.
10 of 39  -   Report This Post