CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

23rd July 2023, 01:01
I enjoyed this but I do have a few queries.

1a - why "woman"?

2d - primarily is a giveaway as to the wordplay device but what is the definition?

26a - I had confidently thought the mention of "gunpowder" was referring to our rebellious cousins from Boston but realised that was wrong when I got 19d so now I don't really know what it is ...

... so, technically, a DNF đŸ˜„

Oh well, had to happen sooner or later - I shall soldier on with a stiff upper lip, trooper that I am 😀

Thanks to Everyman.

Did you run into problems like me or was I just not on Everyman's wavelength?

Let us know in the comments.

Stay safe:-)
1 of 42  -   Report This Post

geeker

23rd July 2023, 01:07
Brendan,

Exactly the same situation here. DNF due to no idea about first word of 26. Best guess is KEG but that seems questionable.

Agreed on your other points. Oddly, I finished yesterday's Prize in 15 min and DNF'd this Everyman. "Some days you bite the bear, some days the bear bites you". ;-)

Some good clues though, thanks to Everyman.
2 of 42  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

23rd July 2023, 01:10
1a - it could just as well have been ‘wise man’ or indeed ‘wise person’ but a wise woman will also display it.
2d - check out what the OT book in question is about.
26a - just think of an outdoor location where you might enjoy the thing that our Bostonian cousins disposed of unceremoniously. And pluralise it.
3 of 42  -   Report This Post

geeker

23rd July 2023, 01:12
Thank you, rogissimo. I found 24 and 26 both extremely tough, but fair and strong clues. That type of "Boston substance" I've only encountered in crosswords, and had forgotten.
4 of 42  -   Report This Post

rogissimo

23rd July 2023, 01:19
PS Brendan - if your first idea for 26a is what I think it is, it wouldn’t fit with either 19d or 21d
5 of 42  -   Report This Post

jono

23rd July 2023, 07:28
I did rather poorly at today’s Wordle, Wafflegame and Codeword (the daily warm-up) before attempting this so wasn’t best pleased. Everyman used “gunpowder” earlier this year so no surprise there. Not sure why we have “playing area” in 23a and 21d I don’t quite get. Oh well, on to Azed and hoping for some cricket today!
6 of 42  -   Report This Post

phil10000

23rd July 2023, 08:00
Brendan, not sure what the problem is with 26A. You seem to have the correct substance. Maybe just had it in the wrong place?
Jono, re 23A, I think playing area is fair enough, as that's where you're most likely to see one (also, I guess Everyman used it as a bit of sneaky misdirection). Re, 21D, I suppose the idea is you might develop a headache if you encounter one of these in a pub.
COD 17A - simple but very elegant.
7 of 42  -   Report This Post

chrise

23rd July 2023, 08:12
26 there's a green variety called gunpowder

can't parse 3d

"fleeced" to remove just one letter?
8 of 42  -   Report This Post

jono

23rd July 2023, 08:16
I think fleeced removes two outside letters, and the T is part of little money (4 letters).
9 of 42  -   Report This Post

chrise

23rd July 2023, 08:19
thanks jono - i was too casual with that one.
10 of 42  -   Report This Post