CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

alwayspuzzled

20th July 2023, 14:40
After recent straightforward ones this the challenge of this made a very pleasant change.
1 of 17  -   Report This Post

malone

20th July 2023, 14:57
I agree, alwayspuzzled. There have been some very disappointing puzzles recently, this one felt more like the 'old' Spectator puzzles!
2 of 17  -   Report This Post

will37

20th July 2023, 15:12
I agree. I found it a stimulating and vocabulary-expanding challenge.

There is an unusual spelling at 35 which I could confirm only in Collins.
3 of 17  -   Report This Post

malone

20th July 2023, 15:51
Will37, at least you checked the word, I just assumed it was fine. Even in the days when the puzzle gave Chambers dictionaries as prizes, the puzzles included non-Chambers words.
4 of 17  -   Report This Post

hounds

20th July 2023, 16:35
A very classy puzzle, most pleasant to solve.
5 of 17  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

21st July 2023, 07:45
Finally finished this morning, after almost giving up; then inspiration came. The ODQ had one of the men, but no mention of the other.
6 of 17  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

21st July 2023, 12:46
I hadn’t tried the Spectator before. From some of the comments it seems I was lucky to have picked this one. Great fun. 16d has long been a favourite of mine. Thank you, Lavatch.
7 of 17  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

22nd July 2023, 15:03
I have been looking at some of the Spectator crosswords from much earlier years and they appear to be on the same
difficulty level ((for me) as this one which I did enjoy.
Some of the recent ones have been almost too easy.
Something in between would be good
8 of 17  -   Report This Post

malone

22nd July 2023, 15:59
Thanks, jazzgirl. I sometimes wondered if I was looking at the past with rose-tinted spectacles, remembering some tough, challenging and fun Spectator puzzles. I'd be quite happy with the more arduous ones, even if it meant I'd be struggling to finish them!
9 of 17  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

22nd July 2023, 16:12
Malone, this one took me ages. I set it aside a few times and even overnight ! It was early on Friday am when a vital clue suddenly dawned on me!! Still no Bradfords here. It may have speeded things up somewhat I guess ;)
10 of 17  -   Report This Post