CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

drxx

17th June 2023, 11:36
Another fine puzzle from the IQ series (I think). Serious stuff and some seriously tricky clues. How long can this good run go on?
1 of 23  -   Report This Post

jogamel

17th June 2023, 15:56
Another week. Another Inquisitor. Again I need your help drxx.
I have filled the grid, found the words from the correct letters and then don’t know what to look for to replace two answers….any hint please…
2 of 23  -   Report This Post

drxx

17th June 2023, 16:09
They're symmetrically placed, jogamel - look for the wrong colour first.
3 of 23  -   Report This Post

jogamel

17th June 2023, 16:12
Just as you posted the penny dropped. I really enjoyed this. And value being able to post here. Thank you.
4 of 23  -   Report This Post

drxx

17th June 2023, 16:16
Glad you enjoyed it without the nudge, jogamel (I was a bit too quick off the mark this time}.
5 of 23  -   Report This Post

jogamel

17th June 2023, 16:30
These cerebral hypotheses bewilder me many a time. I do need nudges so I’m glad you responded.
6 of 23  -   Report This Post

granama1

17th June 2023, 18:32
Agree with drxx. V enjoyable but not too taxing, although I only rooted out the parsing to a couple after the end game was completed. Merci Jaques!
7 of 23  -   Report This Post

brendan

17th June 2023, 22:37
Finally have a full grid and all the extra letters but there are four clues I just cannot parse.

In 3 of them I know which letter needs changing to get the definition, but the wordplay part is what is confusing me and in the last one I see the wordplay but not how the answer equates to the definition.

16a - Inn’s neglected to give property informal sinister look, to begin
with not apparent (6)

My answer is Scots word so I assume it's "inn's" that changes but, other than not seeing the wordplay, the definition in Chambers is "to invest with heritable property" so how does "neglected" fit in?

4d - Less confused to receive guff, for Rebus, maybe what cunning
snout produces (8)

I've got a 4 letter synonym of "guff" inside an anagram of "less" but that doesn't take account of "Rebus£ so obviously I'm missing something?

17d - Adore travelling with latitude to head South, excels in
packing (8)

My answer has the letters for "adore" and an "l" for "latitude" but, if it's anagram/travelling, how do the other 2 letters come from "to head south"?

28d - New copy, could it be chopped for literary edit? (4)

The wordplay here is N + 3 letter "copy" and I know which letter needs changing in the last word but I can't see how it means "chopped for literary exit"?

8 of 23  -   Report This Post

drxx

17th June 2023, 23:03
In 16a 'neglected' signifies it's archaic. In 17d the first letter of the word for 'Adore' is the abbrev for 'latitude' and it travels south to just beyond the first letter ('r') of the word for 'travelling'. 28d - a 'literary e?it' is death - perhaps an execution, brendan?
9 of 23  -   Report This Post

drxx

17th June 2023, 23:05
Sorry, missed 4 - Rebus works just like the person in 16a (he's an Edinburgh detective).
10 of 23  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » IQ 1808