CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

11th June 2023, 22:01
Only about halfway through this puzzle by Stick Insect but thoroughly enjoying it.

It also has a novel approach to the "remove superfluous word before solving" instruction in that these words then form part of the following clue - I'm not sure if this has been done before but, regardless, it definitely adds to the fun 😀
1 of 21  -   Report This Post

brendan

12th June 2023, 03:28
Finally finished but, before I file it away, can I just get some clarification on one of the C.. of R..

In the actual source material given by the extra letters, the one beginning B is spelled one way (the way that fits in the grid) but if you Google C.. of R.. it shows the one beginning B spelled another way - did anyone else find this or have I gone wrong somewhere?
2 of 21  -   Report This Post

malone

12th June 2023, 07:30
Brendan, the Google one seems ... a little random to me. I've found at least five references confirming the version named in the source.
3 of 21  -   Report This Post

brendan

12th June 2023, 07:39
Ok many thanks Malone, I just thought I'd double check because the other 5 are the same as in the source material but, for some reason, Wikipedia diverges on this one.

I really enjoyed this and thought the novel use of the extra words was a pleasant change from the norm.
4 of 21  -   Report This Post

malone

12th June 2023, 07:55
Thanks, Brendan - and i did mean the Google/Wiki version.

Yes, it was a great puzzle - one of those that was enjoyable all the way through. The manoeuvre with the extra words was an extra layer, but worth the effort.
5 of 21  -   Report This Post

drxx

12th June 2023, 08:13
The Wiki entry cites a different source (specifically it's D... 4:43) where only three cities are listed and the first and third of these are differently spelled.
Names change over such long periods, and changing fortunes account for the different numbers. The puzzle's message and the cryptic title make it very clear which ones to use (I think).
A lovely puzzle with a very neat endgame - I really enjoyed it too.
6 of 21  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

12th June 2023, 11:13
Three cheers for Stick Insect, that was a real treat! The inclusion of 6d was inspired: Aeschylus’ great trilogy being another legend of a society finding ways to end the cycle of blood vengeance. 18a was a nice little Easter egg too.
7 of 21  -   Report This Post

nelson62

13th June 2023, 14:42
Cheers to all
Missed paper on Sunday.
Can anyone send me a copy of the puzzle to
fancydan47@btinternet.com
Many thanks
Nelson
8 of 21  -   Report This Post

malone

13th June 2023, 16:21
Have you received a copy Nelson62? I can;t help with that, but there is another way for you to access it - there's a link, posted on Sunday morning, on a commonly-used website...
9 of 21  -   Report This Post

nelson62

13th June 2023, 16:35
Hi Malone,
Many thanks.
Not yet, but still hope!
As for the other thread,
I am a bit puzzled!!
Cheers
Nelson
10 of 21  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1594