CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

les 40

9th October 2010, 18:31
Hi, Ive been doing the Times for a few years now and recently had a go at the Mephisto, I fancy a go at the Saturday Listener, but can't seem to get the gist of it. Can anyone who does it give me a few pointers to help me on my way.
1 of 40  -   Report This Post

smiffy

9th October 2010, 18:39
Can't help, but would be intrigued to read this thread, too.
2 of 40  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

9th October 2010, 18:49
I'd like to have a try too - but help doesn't seem forthcoming anywhere.Perhaps we should all have a go together and compare notes on here!
3 of 40  -   Report This Post

les 40

9th October 2010, 22:35
I may have to contact a few old friends, but can't think who would be my best bet, maybe we can sort something before next week.I'll try to muster some interest tonight by keeping this thread on page 1. Hopefully some of the regular quality solvers can throw us a line on this quandary.
4 of 40  -   Report This Post

confused

10th October 2010, 13:22
There are a few sites which give information about the listener-

http://www.listenercrossword.com/List_Home.html
http://listenwithothers.com/
http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Quizzes-and-Puzzles/Crosswords/Question945633-2.html
the answerbank has a new thread each week.

There was a series of articles about how to solve the listener several years back.

A word of friendly warning. Some Listener solvers get very irked by sites that give very direct hints or even, horror of horrors, answers. They are worried about cheating. There was an attempt on this site to give answers to a particular listener puzzle, but this was firmly quashed by a contributor.

Good luck - I would welcome help with the listener as I very rarely solve it and guidance would be welcome. a
5 of 40  -   Report This Post

smiffy

10th October 2010, 17:01
I agree in principle with the "cheating" idea, and indeed, if I post here for some help, I would prefer it to be along the lines of..... "think about....." or " ..the definition part of the clue is..."
6 of 40  -   Report This Post

philip

10th October 2010, 18:27
Hello
I dont do the Listener, but could I suggest a way you could help each other.
About a year ago, several of us started posts on this forum for the Radio Times Crossword. We now have a faithful following of about a couple of dozen and every Tuesday and Wednesday (sometines later for the stragglers) we post our views on the current crossword, saying which clues we like and dislike and for anyone who is stuck, we try to give alternsative clues, not the answers.
This has been very well received and built up a`number of regular contacts. It has also added to the RTs readership as a number of new contacts have started to buy it, just to join in the banter.
Just a thought, but it might just help
PHILIP
7 of 40  -   Report This Post

halil

10th October 2010, 20:45
Philip, I don't think the Listener police will put up with the standard of 'hint' which is commonplace in the RT thread.
An example from the current thread:
'Orally handle trees' (4) Y??? some poor soul asked about.
'Answer is type of tree (plural - there's one in my garden!) - sounds like a word meaning to handle something' came the helpful hint.
Says it all really doesn't it?
8 of 40  -   Report This Post

trevor

10th October 2010, 20:55
Halil
is the answer Yuck?...as in, i won't swallow, and also Yucca trees?
9 of 40  -   Report This Post

les 40

13th October 2010, 10:06
Thanks for the info, which I will check out.I sort of agree with the cheating angle. I understand that when people have reached a high standard of solving - they don't like thier elitism compromised by "new kids on the block" who just want to run before they can walk. I do agree with Smiffy though, that maybe a hint or alternative clue be given to new solvers, because if this is a new hobby someone has chosen, then they should be given all the encouragement that is on offer. I remember when I started as a teenager, when computers were few and far between, and my dad was my inspiration and a priceless source of informative help.
10 of 40  -   Report This Post