CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

gingerhendry

7th April 2009, 18:41
1. Quietly leave the English drunk by the fireplace (5) I think it may be POKER, but could you explain why please? (Im a relative beginner with cryptic clues!
2. Carry on in a sentimental way after being inhibited for coming last (6,5) Both answers are things found in house. Thanks.
1 of 16  -   Report This Post

jimc

7th April 2009, 19:02
Hi Gingerhendry.

Quote from Yahoo!Answers website ...

INGLE - "drunk" means "anagram" in cryptic clues ( of Engli ) ie "English without the "sh". Sh = quietly. An ingle is a Fireplace or a corner near a fireplace

Best Wishes.
JimC
2 of 16  -   Report This Post

gingerhendry

7th April 2009, 19:13
Many Thanks Jim . I have a lot to learn!
3 of 16  -   Report This Post

jimc

7th April 2009, 19:17
My pleasure Gingerhendry. I have a lot to learn also - these are not easy clues, by any means.

I'm thinking it would be handy if someone would just throw up a single post or website with all the answers to the Rainbow Charity Puzzle in one place. People could chose whether or not to view it or work things out themselves and it might actually increase the entries to the Puzzle and increase their takings for charity.
4 of 16  -   Report This Post

campanilla

7th April 2009, 19:21
I think the answer is "wooden spoon". Carry on in a sentimental way is to "spoon" and the wooden spoon you get for coming last.

I totally agree with Jim, especially as this last quiz is so much harder than many of the others.

5 of 16  -   Report This Post

gingerhendry

7th April 2009, 19:33
I agree Jim C. The clever folks would not need to view the answers, but a beginner like myself would be able to see them and how the answer is arrived at! I am grateful for the clues you gave to me in your posting. GH
6 of 16  -   Report This Post

gingerhendry

7th April 2009, 19:35
Thank you campanilla, for explaining the Wooden Spoon, much appreciated. GH
7 of 16  -   Report This Post

campanilla

7th April 2009, 20:10
You're welcome Gingerhendry. Everybody has to start somewhere but, unfortunately, there are a lot of clever people around who like to criticize others for asking for answers but what difference does it really make to help out when you consider that it is a charity quiz and the more people who send in their answers, the more money is collected. Get a life people, it's supposed to be fun!!!
8 of 16  -   Report This Post

jimb

7th April 2009, 22:20
Gingerhendry

I'm sure Campanilla won't mind if I add a little to his explanation of wooden spoon, the "wooden"
part of the answer comes from the reference to being inhibited.

I also agree with the sentiments regarding the sharing of knowledge and learning which will help us all to hone our skills and, in this case, may benefit the charity if there are more participants

JimB
9 of 16  -   Report This Post

campanilla

8th April 2009, 16:26
No problem, JimC, glad of the explanation. One small problem though..... It's "she" not "he"!!
10 of 16  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » Cryptic.