CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

10th March 2023, 15:53
The Clues ….
Requests for help should normally include the clue itself, the number of letters in the answer, and details of any you already have. Any special instructions or additional information should also be included.
Hints only, please, no answers.

The Theme ….
Help with the theme may be sought here. 'Gentle nudges' is hard to define, of course - the aim is to help nudge someone in the right direction, without giving so much away that you spoil the puzzle for others.
If queries or answers reveal - even inadvertently - too much information, they are likely to be removed.

The Listener is a unique puzzle and should be treated with respect.
1 of 19  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

10th March 2023, 17:22
One for the newbies. Easiest I can remember. Half hour all in. Disappointing.
2 of 19  -   Report This Post

smithsax

10th March 2023, 17:40
Agree. There is a place for entry level puzzles but that was a bit too easy.
3 of 19  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

10th March 2023, 17:50
All done in record time for me, too.
4 of 19  -   Report This Post

pootle

10th March 2023, 18:34
Surprisingly straightforward. It would be a good puzzle for a Listener newbie, though how would they know that (except of course for another solver telling them)?
5 of 19  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

10th March 2023, 18:55
Thanks Opsimath. Although nice and gentle, still a nice construction. Remember it well.
6 of 19  -   Report This Post

dylan

10th March 2023, 20:48
yes, a nice theme but the clues could have been more challenging. And why this theme right now - it's not an anniversary, as far as I remember?
7 of 19  -   Report This Post

alpaca

11th March 2023, 09:09
Thanks Opsimath, nice and gentle for we non-league players.
Can’t help but think, though, that anyone who read last week’s article on the Listener and tried this puzzle as a first timer will wonder what all the fuss is about.
8 of 19  -   Report This Post

candledave

11th March 2023, 09:18
I reckon that’s partly the point, alpaca

If you’re going to do a big song and dance for the Listener and get a load more people trying it at the weekend, you want them to have an enjoyable experience and hopefully a few of them will stay for the ride.
9 of 19  -   Report This Post

andyp

11th March 2023, 12:22
good point candledave. Further to this anyone think they should give the difficulty level, like they do with other puzzles, and is done in magpie? This may help newbies not being put off if they come across a real challenging one first up, and equally for those that like a challenge, will be prepared for if its on the easier side.
10 of 19  -   Report This Post