CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jerry

5th April 2009, 20:38
Anybody need any help with this? There are two or
three this week that are quoted as one word but are
two words or hyphenated. 7a and 7d is a good place
to start.6down has a bar missing,this happened last week,are they trying something fiendish on us poor
souls?
Jerry
1 of 7  -   Report This Post

don thompson

6th April 2009, 09:49
Just finished - I think - but can you explain the wordplay for 11d. Where is the large vessel in "waiterhood" ?
2 of 7  -   Report This Post

jimc

6th April 2009, 11:10
Hi Don.

I hope that Jerry will not mind me replying.

My reading of this was ... AIT(islet) + ERHO(anag of 'hero') in WOD('dow' backwards, alternate spelling of 'dhow', an arab sailboat). I may be wrong though!

Best Wishes.
JimC
3 of 7  -   Report This Post

don thompson

6th April 2009, 12:32
Good call, thanks. I was thinking about R(Robin) Hood as my hero - wrongly I now realise. The shaded squares were not really of much interest - might have been better if we had been asked to find them??
4 of 7  -   Report This Post

jerry

6th April 2009, 13:37
Hi Don & Jim,
Jim's explanation looks good to me as I worked it out pretty much the same way. I too wondered about the shaded squres,is it a way of checking the correct answers quickly?
My salutations to you both,
Jerry
5 of 7  -   Report This Post

don thompson

9th April 2009, 10:43
Obviously 5 squared is 25 and 6 squared is 36 hence 2536 (Mephisto 2536) but so what?
6 of 7  -   Report This Post

jimc

9th April 2009, 11:16
Hi Don

I think the compiler is just having a little fun on the side as numbers are so much more interesting than words anyway (Sudoku excepted!).

I'm happy as the shady (def: 'of questionable taste') squares actually helped me get the answer to 33ac.

Best Wishes.
JimC
7 of 7  -   Report This Post