CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

logodaedalus

30th September 2022, 12:16
Hi there,

First time poster here, so please excuse any gaffes (I did search and didn't find any preexisting threads).

I just need help parsing an answer, if that's ok?

It was the only one in this puzzle I couldn't crack, and upon looking at the solution, and indeed explanation provided by the compiler, I still couldn't quite get it!

The clue is 25 across - "Surrealists, for instance, latch on to absurd material." (6)

The answer is apparently MADRAS. I had never heard of madras the material, but hey ho. The bit I can't fathom is why "RAS" means "surrealists, for instance". It's probably something fairly obvious and common but is a gap in my knowledge it seems!

TIA
1 of 6  -   Report This Post

chrise

30th September 2022, 12:19
Split it as "MAD RAS", where RAS are artists. "Mad artists" could be a description of Surrealists, though a bit unfair!
2 of 6  -   Report This Post

chrise

30th September 2022, 12:20
I forgot to say "hello and welcome"! There are lots of helpful people here (although the site does seem to have been very quiet the last few days).
3 of 6  -   Report This Post

jono

30th September 2022, 12:21
Welcome to the forum.
Surrealists is being used here as an example of artists. Artists is often indicated as RA (Royal Academician)
4 of 6  -   Report This Post

logodaedalus

30th September 2022, 12:30
Haha, I like that alternative interpretation!
5 of 6  -   Report This Post

logodaedalus

30th September 2022, 12:31
Ah, many thanks. I did suspect that it was "RAs" more than "RAS", but I was totally unfamiliar with that abbreviation, philistine that I apparently am.
6 of 6  -   Report This Post