CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jazzgirl

1st September 2022, 17:39
For me, this was the easiest ever by Doc
A pity it was all over too soon.
I guessed the theme from the title as soon as I entered 8 down.
I hope the next Spectator will be more challenging
1 of 14  -   Report This Post

lecrack

1st September 2022, 17:56
I agree with you, jazzgirl, this was a veritable feast of anagrams and as soon as I got 15 a, everything fell into place. Very quickly, indeed!
2 of 14  -   Report This Post

buddy

1st September 2022, 17:57
Relying on Wikipedia (since I know little about the theme) it seems that 33d can start with either a C or a D. Is there a reason to prefer one over the other?
3 of 14  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

1st September 2022, 17:59
buddy
C fits with the crossers
4 of 14  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

1st September 2022, 18:00
...and so does D !
5 of 14  -   Report This Post

buddy

1st September 2022, 18:02
Yes, that letter is unchecked.
6 of 14  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

1st September 2022, 18:08
I think C is probably more well-known than D but who knows
7 of 14  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

1st September 2022, 18:16
I agree with the comments. With Doc's frequent Caledonian references I guessed the theme from the title and had it confirmed by the double vowel in 20 down. Likewise I went for C as it is better known.
8 of 14  -   Report This Post

malone

1st September 2022, 18:19
When the Spectator puzzles started featuring some newer setters, I hoped we'd have fewer of the Doc puzzles! Even his staunchest supporters (and there are some) would struggle to find good points in some of the recent offerings.
9 of 14  -   Report This Post

the18racer

2nd September 2022, 09:59
I concur- I've a copy of the "Speccie" crossword book and dip into it occasionally, and the standard is usually somewhere in the region of "fiendish". There are several "Doc" puzzles in there and they are generally superb with really interesting themes.

I started doing the "Speccie" about eight years ago having been a DT "Back pager" for three decades, and at first I found them to be really difficult and sometimes impossible, but then I learned of "Chambers Crossword Dictionary" and that made things easier. I won first prize once....

However, I'd say that during the last three years they have become generally much, much easier and it's not simply down to me getting better. Yesterday's "Doc" was a walk in the park- even with a filthy hangover from the previous night's excesses with a couple of old school chums I still managed to solve it in record time, having guessed the theme from 23A and twigged to the pun in the title.
10 of 14  -   Report This Post