CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

will37

28th July 2022, 11:25
Is there a clue missing? I've found and filled in all the thematic unclueds - 23d, capital city, volcano, indigeneous reptile and national anthem - and I'm left with 14d "ES_A_" which seems to be thematically redundant and yet is unclued.

Am I missing something or has The Spectator made a booboo?
1 of 25  -   Report This Post

ginge

28th July 2022, 11:35
Hi will37, as the preamble requirements are filled by 9 unclueds (as you've noted) it would seem 14d should be clued. I've just been emailed by someone who has already emailed doc as editor for clarification who will advise.
2 of 25  -   Report This Post

norah (admin)

28th July 2022, 12:19
I've combined 2 threads, this post by Piffleworthy was posted prior to Will37 but it had no reply so I've slotted it into Will37's thread as that did have a reply.

"Online version doesn't seem to have been checked properly.

Either the clue for 14d has been left out, or the preamble isn't referencing the unclued light.

Slapdash editing?

Not sure what to do now."
3 of 25  -   Report This Post

ginge

28th July 2022, 12:25
Well done, that man! I have asked Pabulum to supply a clue and will let you what he comes up with!

Thanks for alerting me to this abominable error!

The above is doc's reply, I'll post any follow-up(s).

4 of 25  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

28th July 2022, 12:56
Thanks ginge 👍
5 of 25  -   Report This Post

ruthrobin

28th July 2022, 14:38
There are only two possible words and an acronym that would fill the space - it was clearly nothing to do with the theme so we would just have put one of those in.
6 of 25  -   Report This Post

peter284

28th July 2022, 16:13
I do hope Doc or Pabulum come up with AND PUBLISH a clue for 14d to remedy their abject disaster. But they probably won't.

Meanwhile, I think that the spaces should be left blank: I have found THREE possible words to fit, no acronyms. In the absence of a clue, it is anybody's guess which word should be included.
7 of 25  -   Report This Post

luftmensch

28th July 2022, 17:21
Only three possible words in Chambers - but seven in the OED!
8 of 25  -   Report This Post

will37

28th July 2022, 19:17
Fingers crossed that, since the omission of 14d has been pointed out to Doc very quickly, an addendum could be added as a footnote to next week's puzzle - assuming Pabulum isn't away on holiday. That would still leave plenty of time for anyone wanting to submit before the closing date of 15 August.

By the bye, I notice that they're now accepting solutions by post again.
9 of 25  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

28th July 2022, 20:31
Almost finished, but can someone confirm the volcano is at 30a i have L *****
10 of 25  -   Report This Post