CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

paulhabershon

27th July 2022, 07:57
I don't mind occasionally having to look up an obscure solution when completing The Times cryptic, but yesterday (Tuesday 26th July) for me there were too many such examples.

New to me were JARRAH, WAKE-ROBIN, RINGGIT (maybe should know currencies), TAHR, BEL CANTO and finally BEARD with a (mainly American) second definition: Resolutely oppose woman out with gay man (5)
Another Americanism was LEATHERNECK for a marine. I did check it but was fairly confident I had it right. AMBO I think I have met before but I still had to get it from the Quick Solve gismo.

I do enjoy learning new words but I also like to finish a crossword without too much help.
1 of 5  -   Report This Post

paul

27th July 2022, 12:05
Glad to hear it wasn’t just me then! How’s life Paul? PR’s been missing you!
2 of 5  -   Report This Post

chrise

27th July 2022, 15:16
you may not know bel canto, paulH, but you are lucky if you haven't come across its operatic counterpart can belto!
3 of 5  -   Report This Post

paulhabershon

27th July 2022, 16:27
Thanks for asking, paul#2.

I think PR etc. is turning out to have been a bit of a lockdown thing with me. The face-to-face chess and bridge have been back for some time and Scrabble tournaments are just getting going again. At least the unnecessary obsession with wiping surfaces and equipment has faded.

I do have a look occasionally at the clue writing but often find my idea has been pre-empted. I haven't totally given up, though, so watch out for my next snorter!
4 of 5  -   Report This Post

trebornotlaw

28th July 2022, 16:11
I also had to look up lum for chimney in 8dn
5 of 5  -   Report This Post