CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jimc

27th September 2010, 15:52
P.S. Good luck though!

JimC :)
3 of 11  -   Report This Post

brian

27th September 2010, 15:54
I don't think an embargo here would help your cause. In the past I've seen that you can fill an entire Times crossword grid without thinking about any of the clues by visiting sites like answerbank.

I know how you feel though - I like to do the viewfinder competition in the Observer which sometimes can be quite tricky but see that the answer to this is posted regularly in cyberspace so you probably get hundreds of people entering who don't even buy the paper!!
4 of 11  -   Report This Post

sallyw

27th September 2010, 16:03
I always wonder how many people do enter these prize crossword comps. I used to but don't now, just do them for fun. I suppose crosswords like the Listener one have a lower percentage of entries because they're so difficult, but maybe I'm just being presumtious here, just because I've never completed it!
5 of 11  -   Report This Post

jomac

27th September 2010, 16:07
It's not really that I want the miserable book token. I just want to see my name (real name) printed as a winner!
6 of 11  -   Report This Post

dandelion

27th September 2010, 16:11
Earlier this year I won the DT consolation prize. A couple of weeks later I won the DT pen! The first sniff of a prize after 20 odd years of sending the crosswords in! I'm after the Times pen now. It may be some time.
7 of 11  -   Report This Post

jimc

27th September 2010, 16:12
Ah!

In that case, you could write to the Times and ask them to publish the names of all correct solvers on a corner of their website (not just winners). They would probably need permission from each solver and it would be rather labour intensive - unless done automatically from web-based crossword entries.

JimC
8 of 11  -   Report This Post

ajt

27th September 2010, 17:19
I wonder too how many people send in correct solutions to crosswords. The figures for the Guardian monthly Genius puzzle are given in the editor'a monthly newsletter, and it's usually around 200 - 300, if that's anything to go by. I must say that I always feel rather peeved to see the answers given away so easily when I've sweated for a while over a particular puzzle, and personally I prefer to give a further clue rather than the answer. In some ways it's best not to look!
9 of 11  -   Report This Post

jomac

27th September 2010, 17:30
Thanks for all these thoughts. Just a final word from me: I wasn't suggesting any sort of ban; just that it should be considered against etiquette ("Bad form", as we used to say) to seek or give answers to active competition crosswords, so that users of the site would refrain from doing so. Perhaps some will do so as a result of this thread.
10 of 11  -   Report This Post

sallyw

27th September 2010, 18:44
Great idea Jomac, crossword help forum etiquette might solve the problem, but it's not something you can force people to do. (I have been guilty of it myself, so from now on wil try to exercise some restraint!)
11 of 11  -   Report This Post