CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

simone

27th September 2010, 11:32
During a plague of rats in Hamelin the local dignitaries set the town cats on them. Each cat caught the same number of rats and a total of 1,111,111 were killed. What is the fewest number of cats who could have accomplished this task?
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

jimc

27th September 2010, 11:34
Hi Simone.

One cat?

JimC
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

jimc

27th September 2010, 11:40
Alternatively, 239x4649 are factors of 1,111,111 ... so the answer might be 239.

Or it might be a trick question (eg answer 127 cats) ....

JimC

JimC
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

jimc

27th September 2010, 12:52
Hi again.

I suppose that the answer could even be zero cats if the rats but they were killed by some other means once the cats had caught them.

JimC
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

bj

27th September 2010, 13:15
Another question from the current GBQ - which still has two weeks to run. The quizsetter has specifically asked that his questions are not asked on any quiz site, so please respect his wishes. This particular question could have been worked out in a manner of minutes with an excel spreadsheet.
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

jimc

27th September 2010, 13:59
Hi BJ.

My apologies to the quiz setter if any distress has been caused. I didn't know where the question was from.

If it's any consolation, any or all of the 4 suggested answers I gave may be entirely wrong (personally I like the suggestions in posts #2 & #4).

JimC
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

iris

27th September 2010, 14:02
how does #2 work JimC? 'Each cat caught the same number' If one caught them all the others caught none, no?
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

bj

27th September 2010, 14:05
Hi JimC, Apologies, I wasn't getting at you - my comments were aimed at Simone, who, as she does the quiz, must also know the rules. And she didn't even have the courage/curtesy to say where the question was from.
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

jimc

27th September 2010, 15:15
Hi again.

Agree with you BJ (about full disclosure).

For Iris, re: post #2 ...

Well, if "... the town cats ..." is equivalent to "all the cats in the town" and there is only one cat in the town, then each involved cat (ie the one cat) would have caught 1,111,111 rats.

A stretch, I admit.

JimC
9 of 9  -   Report This Post