CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

redex

6th March 2022, 11:49
27 February

Struggling to parse some of last week's clues against the answers published today:

10A One had to intervene in row to make it more orderly (6) = TIDIER
Obviously "make it more orderly" but where does "one have to intervene in row"? Something about inserting an "I"?

12A Remains in middle of Area 51 close to disc (5) = RELIC
I get that "Remains" is a synonym for "Relic" but the rest of it? "RE" is from the middle of "area"? "Close to disc" means the answer is almost an anagram of "circle", maybe "Close" hinting to remove one "C"?

13A Fancy Truss U-turned over judge (9) = ELABORATE
Obvious Fancy/Elaborate and judge = rate. Is U-turned "Bale" reversed?

18A Animal bones found in America (12) = VETERINARIAN
Absolutely no idea! Is "bones" slang for doctor? If so what about "found in America"?

21A Choppers clandestinely paid for in cash (4,5) = MILK TEETH
I realised choppers = teeth but how are you supposed to get to milk?

24A Singer right to hug diplomat? On the contrary! (6) = RATHER
Get "On the contrary" and R is the last letter of singer but where's the ATHER coming from?

1D A world-renowned old red shed men put up (6) = CASTRO
So I get "world-renowned old red" but I thought this was a reference to a wine or wine cellar....

3D Exceptional to get out of head with joints (9) = ARTICULAR
Get that articular means to do with joints but the rest...?

I know that's a lot of questions but these ST clues are often really sketchy. Even when you come up with the answer parsing it fully is often a problem.

Thanks in advance!

1 of 4  -   Report This Post

malone

6th March 2022, 11:56
10. Tier, row, with I'd, one had, inside (to intervene).

18 Yes, Bones is slang for doctor and the answer it the American term (we use veterinary surgeon)

3 Particular, exceptional, loses the first letter (out of head)

2 of 4  -   Report This Post

malone

6th March 2022, 11:59
24 Rat - singer, snitch +HE, his excellency, diplomat + R, right. On the contrary, Rather!

1 D. OR, other ranks, men (used often in crosswords), put up - reversed, so Ro. This is put after Cast, shed.
3 of 4  -   Report This Post

malone

6th March 2022, 12:03
12.Yes, Re from the middle of 'area', add LI, Roman numerals for 51 and C, the last letter (close to) 'disc'.

PS Maybe next time you could a batch at a time? There's an awful lot to keep track of (and the posting guidelines mention 3 at a time, I think).
4 of 4  -   Report This Post