CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pen29

19th February 2022, 13:22
Good day all. I still do the Radio Times crossword but now rarely, if ever, see a post from anyone else who does. What happened to Mr Pipesmoker, Rob the Rich, Wee Jock, and all the others who used to so entertain me with their posts? Is it that this puzzle has become too easy for most people? It's the only one I do now and I miss the humour of those long-ago exchanges.. and some help with the clues of course.
1 of 17  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

19th February 2022, 13:38
Hello Pen
I also remember fondly the good-humoured threads on the Radio Times, a far back as 2011. Pipesmoker kept us entertained with his witty anecdotes and among those who participated were Wee Jock, Old Gal, and I often started the thread and helped out when I could.
We still receive the occasional posts from RTers and still give hints if required.
I no longer buy the Radio Times but please ask for help here if you get stuck.
Best wishes
JG
2 of 17  -   Report This Post

chrise

19th February 2022, 14:27
The last I heard from pipesmoker, he was still having chemotherapy. That was at least a couple of years ago, so I fear the worst.
3 of 17  -   Report This Post

pen29

19th February 2022, 14:41
Thank you Jazzgirl and Chrise- I do sometimes read the more general posts and have seen both your names there and enjoyed the back and forth.
4 of 17  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

19th February 2022, 15:07
Chris
I am sorry to hear that Pipemoker was so ill.
We are all growing older now.
Other members I remember are caravaggio (last seen on Answerbank in September 2021 ) Mondrian, Bees, Magworth, and Navigator, although I fear that the latter one has passed on.
I spotted Magworth a few weeks ago
5 of 17  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

19th February 2022, 15:25
PS Caravaggio tweeted on Twitter an hour ago (under real name)
6 of 17  -   Report This Post

pen29

19th February 2022, 15:36
Caravaggio is a name I recall. Mondrian as well. I know some whose names I recall will have gone the way of all flesh, and I am sad for the processes which may have afflicted them as they go, or went. I'm going that way myself!
7 of 17  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

19th February 2022, 15:47
Pen, I wish you well with whatever you are going through .
I am dealing with the havoc that Storm Eunice wreaked and the pending insurance claim. Grrr
Stay safe and well
8 of 17  -   Report This Post

pen29

20th February 2022, 09:08
Thank you Jazzgirl, but I only have to cope with age related creaking. Nothing as hard as a insurance claim, or the reason for one. I wish you well with all that.
9 of 17  -   Report This Post

bees

26th February 2022, 15:18
Hi All, and especially Jazzgirl. It's nice to know somebody misses me. I'm still here, ancient and decrepit, though friends and family have been dropping like flies lately. i too miss the happy crowd who used to meet here. Pipesmoker has/had " with CIDP (the chronic cousin of Guillain Barre Syndrome" Who was the chap from Aran, or Arran? I'm still doing the RT Crossword every week; occasionally it's easy, occasionally, like the current No.9, I find it a nightmare. So, while we're here, can anyone help with 15A: Large body of water one swallowed to be an umpire. ?E?I ?t?
10 of 17  -   Report This Post