CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

cockie

27th January 2022, 18:18
A friend who does this has asked my why "Go free from Baltic?" is ZING. I've spent a few minutes puzzling, but have come up with nothing. What am I (and was he) missing?
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

ginge

27th January 2022, 18:23
Hi cockie, (free)zing
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

malone

27th January 2022, 18:24
Take Free away from Freezing, Baltic, bitterly cold and you're left with Zing, go, liveliness...
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

jono

Go (defn as in life/zest) and free-zing (baltic meaning cold less free)
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

cockie

Thanks, ginge. I shall tell my chum. Glad I don't do the Thunderer any more if that's the kind of clue which is acceptable.
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

malone

27th January 2022, 18:37
Cockle,I'm a little puzzled. What's wrong with the clue, what makes it unacceptable?
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

cockie

28th January 2022, 12:21
Not sure on mature reflection. Since BRB isn't specified in the Times I'm not convinced that regarding Baltic and freezing as synonymous is altogether right. After all, in summer the Baltic is balmy(ish). Without getting into murky waters the idea that Baltic = freezing is not too far distant from Scottish = mean or, if we are to venture into taboo-land, that ... no, better not.
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

malone

28th January 2022, 13:15
Thanks, Cockie. Chambers and Collins both have definitions of 'extremely cold' for 'Baltic' - that's why I thought the clue was fine.
8 of 8  -   Report This Post