CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ixion

16th September 2010, 02:43
4D Fat hatter's stopwatch? (6)

The answer is butter(fat) - can anyone explain the cryptic bit?

Thanks

ixion
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

chrisg

16th September 2010, 06:56
Good morning Ixion. The only possibility I can think of is that it relates to the Mad Hatter. He stuffed various things into his watch in order to stop it...and if my memory serves me correct Butter was one of them...I may be totally wrong though !
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

16th September 2010, 09:26
You're not wrong, Chris:

'Two days wrong!' sighed the Hatter. `I told you butter wouldn't suit the works!' he added looking angrily at the March Hare.

`It was the best butter,' the March Hare meekly replied.
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

chrisg

16th September 2010, 10:24
Thank you Bullfrog...its good to hear that my memory is still working even at the age of 67 !
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

16th September 2010, 10:27
It got me thinking about my long-lost (or lent) copy of Martin Gardner's superb 'Annotated Alice', so I went off to Amazon and ordered a replacement. Ain't the t'internet a wonderful thing?
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

trevor

16th September 2010, 10:34
You're not wrong there Bullfrog.
I borrowed (actually somebdy insisted that i should read it)a long while back - and I did give it back - great stuff.
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

bullfrog

16th September 2010, 11:11
It's the sort of book you get evangelical about and push on others, trev. Another favourite that I've lent and replaced a few times is 'Mots d'Heure Gousses Rames'(if you don't know it, try saying the title a few times until it clicks.) It's a must for fans of humorous wordplay.
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

ixion

16th September 2010, 12:40
Thanks guys
8 of 8  -   Report This Post