CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

davipde

19th July 2021, 08:57
Apologies, but after reading all the threads I am still completely flummoxed by this puzzle.
Please can someone explain what the link is between Paragon and the name hidden in the grid?
Also I suspect 1A is the name of a well-known weekly publication - why??
And what is the solution to 39D T ? ase
Last, but not least: 35D Bus number ? oca ? (5)
I think it's local, but why?
Sorry this is so long, and thanks in advance, - this has been the most frustrating puzzle for a long while
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

malone

19th July 2021, 09:04
Another word for a Paragon is a five letter diminutive of the theme word - it's not a name you hear much now, but it definitely is a treasure,.

1 A is a 3-letter word, abbreviation - so fits in with another diminutive.

39 . Tease, Chambers confirms that it fits thematically.

35. D Local fits both those definitions.
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

davipde

19th July 2021, 21:07
Thanks Malone.
I'm still stumped by 1 A - please put me out of my misery!
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

malone

19th July 2021, 21:31
1 A. Is not a newspaper, it's a ,..... and the shortened version of that is one of the diminutives of the theme word,name.

PS Glad I could help with the others.
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

davipde

21st July 2021, 08:28
I'm being dense and almost crying in frustration!
I just don't get it and can see no words that will fit. Don't even know what diminutive it refers to.
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

malone

21st July 2021, 08:31
A newspaper can be called a paper, a magazine can be called a ??? . This ??? is a diminutive of the name that is the thematic element (other diminutives being P?? and M????).
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

davipde

21st July 2021, 08:34
Just after I posted it finally clicked!
Thanks for your patience. I found this crossword the most frustrating and obscure for many years.
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

malone

21st July 2021, 08:57
Glad you got there - eventually - davipde. It's interesting that perceptions can vary so much. I found this crossword not at all obscure and not at all frustrating! I enjoyed it.
8 of 8  -   Report This Post