CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jerry

29th March 2009, 16:53
I think I may have finished this,but there are
some really weird and wonderful words in it this
week.
If anybody needs a starting point 29a is the
easiest clue to solve.
Regards to everybody,
Jerry
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

alan

29th March 2009, 19:59
Hi Jerry

After managing last week's M., I am making very slow progress with 2535, having only eight solutions so far ! A few more clues of the standard of 29a would help !

I'd be grateful for a key answer to kickstart me, say 3a or 1d. For 24a I have H--V--- but those letters don't seem to lead anywhere.

Like Bob, I'll be in France for the next three weeks and, as we get late English newspapers in our region, I expect to make an even slower start than usual ! Must remember to pack my Chambers...

Regards,
Alan
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

jerry

29th March 2009, 20:48
Hello Alan,
3a Is a bit misleading it is an anagram of Levant dimly minus the L the answer is 3-7 IVY MANTLED
24a Again it is hyphenated H????-??.
I am trying not to give too much away at this point
in time!
1d Anag of Haru and there is several versions of
diversify,and spice is one of them.
If you get stuck just ask again.
You are lucky to spend time in Florence,are there
many grockles there at the moment?
Best wishes,
Jerry
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

alan

29th March 2009, 22:11
Hi Jerry,

Florence ? Only France I'm afraid and grockles (emmets for the Cornish) abound, particularly the skiing variety as we are close to the Portes du Soleil.

Thanks for the help. The Mephisto's unexpected hyphenated answers certainly throw me off the scent. Maybe that's the idea !

Cheers,
Alan
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

jerry

29th March 2009, 23:30
Hi Alan,
Sorry I misread the France bit,I have to wear bi-focals and for reading the computer screen they
are neither flesh nor fowl nor good red herring!
I have a feeling you may not finish this without
a Chambers,there some really esoteric things in this week,but then what's new there!
Bon chance mon ami,
Jerry
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

bob

30th March 2009, 17:59
Bonjour mon ami,
Thought I would easily finish this one this week but am vey stuck in bottom left-hand corner!! If 23d is carrot I do not understand why. 31 I have sir? and something must be wrong. 33a is probably a greek racecourse but I cannot see it!! I have
?ro?os.
Too much red wine at lunchtime? Probably!! I have problems vis-a-vis Florence and France in that state but then I live in SW France where all the good claret comes from so I have a good excuse too!!
Hope you are well,
Kind regards,
Bob
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

jerry

30th March 2009, 21:23
Bonjour Monsieur Robert,
23d is CARLOT
Carrot is an incentive but you have to swop L for
R(romeo) a carlot a churlish servat.
31a I think is SILL,though I am not altogether sure why,but it could be SILD which is a fish,but what is the empty watercourse?
33a is DROMOS a Greek racecourse(archael.)
Hope this OK,I am still not that certain of 31a
Best regards,
Jerry
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

jerry

30th March 2009, 21:33
Hi again Bob,
31a is definitely SILD IS around + LD A Lead is a watercourse for a mill; sorry about that but I think
it is correct now!
Jerry
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

bob

31st March 2009, 07:52
Good morning Jerry and thank you.
Now I see most of it!!! Difficult one this week. Using Chambers (again) I am sure you are right about SILD and CARLOT (easy really but could not see it!!) You have to be right about DROMOS although I am struggling to see the word play. More awake this morning as my local market starts at 0730 and have already had my coffee and croissant!!!
Have a good day as they say,
Sincerely,
Bob
9 of 9  -   Report This Post