CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

gerba

5th June 2021, 11:06
With reference to 7 down, I suppose that you might say that San Gimignano is T******R than anywhere else in Tuscany and I note that the Scrabble websites allow this recondite word ..... but has anyone ever seen it used seriously ?
1 of 4  -   Report This Post

will37

5th June 2021, 11:45
I had exactly the same reaction as you, Gerba. It's a strange and rather inelegant word, isn't it?
2 of 4  -   Report This Post

gerba

5th June 2021, 18:15
Exactamundo Will37, to avoid this ugly construction, you'd probably use 'more' - just as you might say 'more comfortable' rather than comfortabler. My spellchecker doesn't like either of them and he's not even human.
3 of 4  -   Report This Post

will37

5th June 2021, 19:08
Another oddity in this puzzle is: why are there numbers in the top-left, top-right and bottom-left squares? It's not as though there are clues numbered 1, 9 or 43.

I found that, once I had solved 8d, 13d and 14d, giving a pretty clear indication of what 17a is, the rest fell into place very quickly. In a week when the Listener puzzle is so completely beyond me - never mind the clues; I can't understand the instructions! - I should have liked the Speccie to give my little grey cells a bit more of a work-out.
4 of 4  -   Report This Post