CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

loubyloo10

5th September 2020, 18:09
I thought I might finish this unaided at one stage but it is not to be.
Not too many to go. These should help.
22a Rallying cry evoking terrible noises. Eno?i? While looks like an anagram of noises to make enoisis that is something to do with the political union of Greece and Cyrus so nothing to do with rallying.
34a Bout of drinking on German water's enjoyed by shoppers Sp???s. Sprees fits but can't get the drinking or German water bit.
35d Plain German memorial stone geezer's half removed. ????e. Absolutely no idea.
Thanks
1 of 12  -   Report This Post

malone

5th September 2020, 18:20
34 Isn't the answer just 5 letters? Your Spree would be correct, it's the name of a German river and also a 'bout of drinking' (the clue is in the singular too).

2 of 12  -   Report This Post

bunty

5th September 2020, 18:28
enosis is correct

35d ebene(zer)
3 of 12  -   Report This Post

loubyloo10

5th September 2020, 18:36
Thanks both
Mr Google isn't coming up with anything about rallying so how does that work, please?
Definitely six letters for sprees.
Isn't it a bit naughty to have an obscure German word for an answer or is all fair in the Spectator?
4 of 12  -   Report This Post

malone

5th September 2020, 18:44
Sorry, Loubylou, you were right about the six letters in 34 A. I think the answer parses as Spree, bout of drinking, and the S comes from Spree's, German water's (water is) , with the definition being 'enjoyed by shoppers'. I hope that works!

Spree, the river, pops up in crosswords from time to time.
5 of 12  -   Report This Post

truron

6th September 2020, 14:37
Malone I need your help - not for the first time . for 16D I have mlo as my answer but I'm not happy that it parses. This is my last entry to complete this sporty puzzle but the (1.2) indication of word length foxes me. Should it be (1,2)?
6 of 12  -   Report This Post

buddy

6th September 2020, 14:40
while I am not Malone, I can parse J(L)O as the answer.
7 of 12  -   Report This Post

kirky

6th September 2020, 14:41
do you mean 32d truron?
Jo is scottish synonym of love
8 of 12  -   Report This Post

truron

7th September 2020, 08:15
Many thanks for speedy advice. I thought mo might be love in Scotland. Neither mlo or jlo mean anything to me.
9 of 12  -   Report This Post

will37

7th September 2020, 12:41
J.Lo - as I expect you've found out by now, Truron - is a nickname for the American actress-singer-dancer-whatever Jennifer Lopez.

Not for the first time, I've noticed that Doc's cultural references can sometimes be quite lowbrow!
10 of 12  -   Report This Post