CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

grannyp

26th August 2010, 13:40
Apologies for this not being a crossword clue,but I thought some of those great brains out there could help me! I am reading an Anthony Trollope novel written about 1875.He describes one of his characters as wearing a 'Tom and Jerry hat''
Does anyone know who were the original Tom and Jerry? Thanks Grannyp.
1 of 16  -   Report This Post

harrhy

26th August 2010, 14:04
Brewer's dictionary of phrase and fable says:
Tom and Jerry. Types of roystering young men about town; from Piers Egan's Life in London or The day and night scenes of Jerry Hawthorn Esq and his elegant friend Corinthian Tom (1821)
2 of 16  -   Report This Post

grannyp

26th August 2010, 14:15
Excellent,thanks very much for that,it,s very interesting! grannyp
3 of 16  -   Report This Post

trevor

26th August 2010, 16:19
i agree Grannyp,
i had no idea that the Cat and the Mouse weren't the original Tom & Jerry.
Still don't know what the hat looked like though.
4 of 16  -   Report This Post

harrhy

26th August 2010, 19:17
In The Three Clerks Trollope does give some detail:
she was enabled to assume that covering for her
head in which her soul most delighted. It was a Tom and Jerry hat turned up at the sides, with a short but knowing feather, velvet trimmings, and a steel buckle blinking brightly in the noonday
sun.

I'm not sure what Tom and Jerry had to do with the hat apart from the name! And just what is a knowing feather?
5 of 16  -   Report This Post

grannyp

26th August 2010, 19:23
Thanks again Harrhy,we are learning more every minute.It was a man wearing the hat in ''The Way we live now'' so it must be some kind of unisex headgear.Don,t suppose you have a photo? Only kidding,many thanks.Grannyp
6 of 16  -   Report This Post

jimc

26th August 2010, 20:30
Evening All.

Used a search engine on the interweb (hope this doesn't offend anyone) and I think the two guys depicted in the middle of this illustration of a coffee shop ("Life in London" by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierce_Egan">Pierce Egan) may be Tom and Jerry.

"Tom and Jerry have just dropped in, by way of a finish to the evening, in their route towards home ...."
http://www.adnax.com/images/views/400tomjerry02.jpg" width=720 height=378 alt="TomAndJerry" hspace=10 >

Maybe their hats are Tom-and-Jerry hats!?

JimC
7 of 16  -   Report This Post

harrhy

26th August 2010, 20:33
Nice find JimC!
8 of 16  -   Report This Post

grannyp

26th August 2010, 21:44
Well done Jim,I am most impressed.I,m sure the women wore these kinds of hats too.And Harrhy I think a ''knowing feather '' sounds lovely,must read that one too.Thanks to everyone.Grannyp
9 of 16  -   Report This Post

trevor

26th August 2010, 22:37
top marks JimC.
10 of 16  -   Report This Post