CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

shottsjimmy

22nd March 2009, 19:40
Thanks Jerry, hopefully this can kick start me.
Yes, the Shotts is a little village just off the M8 which is lovely in summer, which is usually a few days between June and August.
Thanks again.
4 of 22  -   Report This Post

bob

22nd March 2009, 22:05
Hi Jerry,
Bob in France again! Am house, dog and cat sitting for a pal who has ben forced to visit his mother-in-law in England!!! Am without Chambers etc but getting somewhere slowly. 2A would help as I only have IC as the last two letters and am being misled by a possible anagram?
Best wishes,
Bob
5 of 22  -   Report This Post

jerry

22nd March 2009, 22:28
Hi Bob,
It is not an anagram,if you require a lead as opposed to the answer,"CITYS" in reverse around the
middle six letters will give you a lead.
You lucky sod,I wish somebody would ask me to house-sit en belle France.
Best regards,
Jerry
6 of 22  -   Report This Post

bob

23rd March 2009, 08:25
Thanks Jerry. Back to the drawing board now. Fabulous weather here and I walked the dogs at sunrise. I have lived here for 15 plus years and enjoy every day still!! Au revoir
Bob
7 of 22  -   Report This Post

alan

23rd March 2009, 15:41
Hi Jerry

I'm new to Mephisto (the last 5 weeks) and to this Forum. Not too sure about 5dn - looks to be PRION (a sea bird from the southern oceans) but don't fully understand how this answer fits the clue. Would be grateful for assistance.
8 of 22  -   Report This Post

jimc

23rd March 2009, 15:52
Hi Alan.

Welcome.

5d. See sea bird stir, moving south.

The way I explained this was that 'stir' is slang for 'prison'. Then take away the 's' for 'south' to give 'prion'.
9 of 22  -   Report This Post

jerry

23rd March 2009, 15:56
Hi Alan,
The word "stir" in the clue is key to this,another
slang term for PRI(S)ON/moving South.
Welcome to the forum and the vagaries and mysteries
of the Mephisto. Do you have a Chambers dictionary?
Best wishes,
Jerry
10 of 22  -   Report This Post

alan

23rd March 2009, 16:31
Hi JimC & Jerry

Thanks for the explanations. I am still trying to adjust to the mindset necessary for this level of cryptic crossword. Being relatively recently retired I now have the time to tackle the Mephisto having for years looked in awe at the weekly solutions before shying away from 'giving it a go'.

Yes, I do have a Chambers but it is the 1990 edition. Would it make sense to arm myself with a current version ?

Regards,
Alan
11 of 22  -   Report This Post

jimc

23rd March 2009, 16:34
I just got the current version (11th) from Amazon for £16.09 and used it for the first time .. it made things SO much easier than being without !!
12 of 22  -   Report This Post

john

23rd March 2009, 17:22
stuck on 32 across. Help
13 of 22  -   Report This Post