CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ajt

16th August 2010, 23:14
I just remembered that "eric" is a word for a fine. Looking it up in Chambers, I find that it isan old Irish word, and they say that it is the blod fine paid by a murderer to the family of his victim. I feel like shouting "Eureka"
We'll just have to accept that the "e" is common to both ale and eric
21 of 39  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

16th August 2010, 23:17
AJT - did you get the correct Mephisto yesterday?
22 of 39  -   Report This Post

ajt

16th August 2010, 23:21
Hello Sudokulover - no - after I'd finished what was on the Times website, I read th thread that said it was the wrong one. Reading the threads here about it, I see that PMcK has been as devious as ever. I shall send in the one that I've finished - a Tim Moorey.
23 of 39  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

16th August 2010, 23:22
Shall i email you 2607?
24 of 39  -   Report This Post

ajt

16th August 2010, 23:25
Thank you S, that would be great. I did see your kind offer on Sunday, but by the time I read it, I thought you would have finished the crossword without copying it.
25 of 39  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

17th August 2010, 00:15
sudokulover: I know; it drives me crazy when they don't tell you how many words are in the answer. I don't think I've ever seen the plant name hyphenated either.
26 of 39  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

17th August 2010, 00:18
By the way, AJT, thanks for posting the RIC thing. A bit obscure, wouldn't you say? Now I won't have to jump out of bed in the middle of the night.
27 of 39  -   Report This Post

ajt

17th August 2010, 08:26
Aristophanes - if you google eggs-and-bacon you will find it hyphenated; it isn't given in Chambers - ref. blurb below puzzle.

I should have remembered "eric" earlier - I have quite often found it in crosswords.
28 of 39  -   Report This Post

suziem

17th August 2010, 13:43
Hi aristophanes
Have just seen this thread and have noticed that your clue for 12d is not given correctly. The clue is 'Relating to enzymes, not found in beer, full-flavoured mostly.' so RIC comes from RIC(H),
most of 'full-flavoured' 'Fine' is not in the clue.
Hope that helps
Cheers
S
29 of 39  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

17th August 2010, 13:57
Suzie - do you have the newspaper version - we all have the online version and the clue definitely has "fine" at the end
30 of 39  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » AZED 1994