CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

anna

16th August 2010, 14:48
No club for wranglers

?o?d?? ????n
1 of 14  -   Report This Post

ixion

16th August 2010, 14:52

Wrangler
• (n.) One of those who stand in the first rank of honors in the University of Cambridge, England. They are called, according to their rank, senior wrangler, second wrangler, third wrangler, etc
2 of 14  -   Report This Post

the joker

16th August 2010, 14:55
Could be WOODEN SPOON
A golf club.
A wrangler is a student who obtains 1st class honours in mathematics.
3 of 14  -   Report This Post

def

16th August 2010, 14:56
Wooden spoon
4 of 14  -   Report This Post

ixion

16th August 2010, 15:00
"Wooden spoon" is indeed heard beyond Australia, and in fact originated in the halls of Cambridge University in England. Apparently there was a custom at Cambridge, dating back to the early 19th century, of awarding an actual wooden spoon to the student who comes in last in the final math (or "maths," as they say over there) examination. According to lore, the top scorer was said to have been "born with a gold spoon in his mouth," the second highest a silver spoon, lead for the third, and wooden for the lowest. The gold, silver and lead "spoons" seem to have been purely figurative titles, but there was, until 1909, actually an elaborate ceremony at graduation wherein the most math-challenged graduate was presented with a large wooden spoon. The presentation ceremony itself was not exactly subtle -- the spoon was lowered from the balcony of the hall as the winner stepped forward to receive his degree from the Vice-Chancellor of the University. A photograph of the last wooden spoon awarded, to the awesomely-named Cuthbert Lempriere Holthouse in 1909, can be found at here. Evidently the spoons awarded had gradually grown in size over the years, and that one is about five feet long and made from an oar.

5 of 14  -   Report This Post

the joker

16th August 2010, 15:15
Ixion Thank you for your erudite and interesting treatise re. the derivation of the term wooden spoon.
I prefer my golf club.,A wooden spoon equates to a No.3 wood,in modern golfing parlance.
PS- when I read this I realise I am turning into a
pedant.
TJ
6 of 14  -   Report This Post

ixion

16th August 2010, 15:34
Pedantry is a virtue when comes to Xwords TJ - I'm sure ur correct about the golf club connection
7 of 14  -   Report This Post

anna

16th August 2010, 15:42
Many thanks folks both for the answer and the explanations!
8 of 14  -   Report This Post

the joker

16th August 2010, 19:24
Thank you Ixion.
Flattery will get you everywhere with me!
9 of 14  -   Report This Post

finger of blame

16th August 2010, 20:29
Hi all,

needing help with 17 across - bet 16 by the way
and
18 down here 3 dance

thanks in advance
10 of 14  -   Report This Post